• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic ignition-coil location

CWR

Reaction score
I was talking to some mopar guys at a car show today...........thet looked at my MSD ignition coil and said " That should be mounted vertically instead of horizontally " It seems that mounted horizontally the oil inside doesn't cool as effectively. Any thoughts? I can't find any mention of that on the MSD site. Should I panic?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think the vertical mounting is in case the coil leaks some oil out. If that happens then you would have a cooling problem. That said, I've only ever seen one coil leak.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coils Ignition Coil - Blaster 2 - Canister - Round - Oil Filled - Red - 45 - 000 V Brand: MSDMfr Part #: 8202

A ballast resistor is not necessary if an MSD ignition control is being used because the ignition is responsible for delivering the voltage to the coil. Do not mount this coil horizontally or upside down. The oil will not sufficiently cover the windings for cooling purposes and the coil may overheat.

Found this on-line........ :cheers:

CWR

Reaction score
so the guys I talked to are on track............I'll have to look at some of the part numbers on my system and look at that site again ..............and I do have a ballast resistor

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Well... for what its worth, I've run MSD igintions on three cars, two of which had the coil mounted horizontally with no problems. The other was a Jeep Grand Wagoneer that the original position was upright.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread Hi-Jack Alert!!!

Mac, what in the heck do you have for an avatar now...???

Your girlfriend with the blue tube top is my personal all-time favorite... :D

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

:jester:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Thread Hi-Jack Alert!!!

Mac, what in the heck do you have for an avatar now...???

Your girlfriend with the blue tube top is my personal all-time favorite... :D

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

:jester:
i'll bring her back eventually but i want to go through some of my other favorites for now. :crazy:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I miis her too! and I'd like to see a shot from the rear. I saw a blonde today with cut offs that was ALL over the place.......... :D

moparmoose3

Reaction score
sorry for interrupting the sweet dreams, but i just got done working on my runner and boy was it a trip. turns out it was the coil. first thought was the battery, then we went to checking the coil for spark. didn't have the best spark, but we took an old plug and checked it against a bolt while turning the car over and weak yellow spark. took the coil off and it was leaking all over the place. it was mounted horizontially in front of the carb. that's the second one that went that way. i'm now looking for a place to mount it on the fenderwell. just thought i'd put my :cents: in on this. :drive:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
moparmoose3 said:
sorry for interrupting the sweet dreams, but i just got done working on my runner and boy was it a trip. turns out it was the coil. first thought was the battery, then we went to checking the coil for spark. didn't have the best spark, but we took an old plug and checked it against a bolt while turning the car over and weak yellow spark. took the coil off and it was leaking all over the place. it was mounted horizontially in front of the carb. that's the second one that went that way. i'm now looking for a place to mount it on the fenderwell. just thought i'd put my :cents: in on this. :drive:
Or just buy the epoxy filled unit (msd 8222) and mount it anywhere you want.......... :thumbsup:

CWR

Reaction score
with the epoxy unit . Is it just a straight swap?

Back