• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elongated Holes Crossmember Frame

trim88

Reaction score
Hi, In my 69 RoadRunner 4spd. the frame on the passenger side that the center crossmember bolts to, the holes are elongated, see pic IMG_0576.jpg
On the drivers side where the bolts go, the holes are normal, perfectly round. Not sure if this is normal on the passenger side to be elongated or is it someone slamming the gears with the bolts possibly being loose??
If not normal (being elongated), how can it be corrected since it is the unibody frame member??
Thanks for any help anyone can give, trim

trim88

Reaction score
No, the holes on the cross member are round. Could the holes in the framey be that way for adjustment? Torque is recommended at 90 lft. lbs. Seems like that would hold it in one position???
Wished I had another Runner to look at with the tranny out.
trim

My Bad....Yes, they are elongated on one side..?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just checked my pics and mine are all round. Maybe some one hogged them out with a drill instead of taking the time to line things up?

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
definatly supposed to be all round.

Yep somebody "hogged" them holes out.

My tranny is not in and all are like said perfectly round holes.

Dang Dave you must not type with 2 fingers :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I edited the post to show the pic. Hope you didn't mind.

Anyway... The simplest fix I can think of (besides replacing it) would be to weld washers over the elongated holes.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Oh!! And I like the cribbing under the tire!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A31PKG

Reaction score
Aren't there support tubes in the frame to keep it from collapsing when the crossmember bolts are torqued? It's hard to tell from the pic....

trim88

Reaction score
Yes, I can see support tubes inside, but they look a little oblong also. I thought about welding washers but then wouldn't the frame be too thick to receive the cross member?
trim

trim88

Reaction score
Thanks Big John, I couldn't figure out how to post it in the message and I read something at the begining when I joined about taking up as little room as possible with pics on the forum, so put it in photobucket.
Works better when it's by the post, Thank you, trim

A31PKG

Reaction score
quote]Plug weld the holes, grind the welds flat and redrill. Bolt the crossmember in as your template.
:thumbsup:[/quote]

This is exactly where I was leaning on this... You are right about the washers, they may widen the frame to the point where the crossmember wont slip into place.

moparchris

Reaction score
I have seen this before. Its from loose bolts and piling a hundred thousand miles on top of it. I drill out the holes over size and pound a piece of dom steel tuning on the hole, weld the tubes to the frame then grind the whole thing flush. Or just leave it since its really not harming anything.

Back