• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine selection

Moparnut

Reaction score
I'm in the process of evaluating my 69 project and looking for opinions on motor selection. My car originally had a 383. The car was raced hard for a few years and the original 383 grenaded and is long gone. It currently has a 383 out of a 67 GTX. It runs very well; no smoke or vibration at all. I also have a 440 out of a 68 Fury, also a very nice runner with low miles. Which would be a better choice? Either motor will be freshened up before install; heads redone, cam and lifters... should I try to find a 69 383??

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you have some reason for wanting to stick with the original engine displacement that wasn't mentioned, I think this old adage answers the question rather succinctly: "There is no substitute for cubic inches." Go for the 440... :cents:

BTW: No such thing as a 383 from a '67 GTX. They were ALL 440 and Hemis. ONLY. No buts, no exceptions.

:jester:
ACME

Moparnut

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Unless you have some reason for wanting to stick with the original engine displacement that wasn't mentioned, I think this old adage answers the question rather succinctly: "There is no substitute for cubic inches." Go for the 440... :cents:

BTW: No such thing as a 383 from a '67 GTX. They were ALL 440 and Hemis. ONLY. No buts, no exceptions.

:jester:
ACME
It's definitelt a 67 383; seller told me it was from a GTX but I guess I should've done research before accepting that as fact!

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:

ACME
I'm with Ray on this one. :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yeah - 440 only for 1967 - at least that is what the factory published. We have seen some strange things on this board, though (like a Holley carb equipped '69 road runner - who knew?). I once had a '67 Coronet R/T with a 4-speed and a Dana 60 with a 383 in it. The valve springs had inner damper ribbon springs inside the normal coils and after running the numbers on the VIN it appeared that the engine had come with the car originally. It's been a long time ago that I owned the car so I may not remember correctly and I may not have interpreted the VIN right but it sure seems to me that I remember how strange it was to have an R/T with a 383 in the VIN instead of a 440.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Of course... was it really a GTX? There was a Chrysler dealer in Syracuse that was taking new 62 and 63 Chrysler Newports and installing 300 grilles and trim....

But back to the topic, yep... I'd do the 440.

chapdog105

Reaction score
I was in a similar boat with my 69 Roadrunner convertible.
It was originally a 383 without an Air Grabber set-up.
My dad tossed the original 383 back in 1981 to set the car up for the track, and bought a 69 440.
I had the 440 bored .30 and used a mild cam to get a nice, reliable cruiser with some balls when needed.

I'd go with a 440 or crate Hemi. It's not numbers either way, so might as well go for it!
Just my :cents:

Alex

Steve

Reaction score
I asked the same question on here 12 months ago and was recomended to go 440.Best advise I ever took :thumbsup:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not to say the 383 didn't come out of a GTX it could have been in there as a replacement, I have a 383 that came out of a '06 Ram (the Ram's box of course) :jester:

Back