• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust manifold

mikerr

Reaction score
hey guys been a long time last spring i started my runner and heard a loud popping noise. i figured i blew an exhaust manifold gasket . i took it to a reliable mechanic since i was in no mood to do the job myself. he calls me and says while removing a bolt antifreeze was coming out and that i might have a cracked head. i called my friend who builds engines and has a ton of experience with mopars. he is an old dude like me and he told me that it is normal on 383 motors and bring the car to him. turned out it was a cracked manifold . he found me original manifolds that were reconditioned and looked great. PROBLEM SOLVED. as usual there is no substitute for experience. obviously this 30 year old mechanic as good as he is didn't know that was normal. add this one to your facts inventory if you didn't know already. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

41dodge

Reaction score
Duh, I learned that about 55 years ago working on 383s'. Where's that mechanic been? Obviously not working on Mopars.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
When I was still running the 383 with 906 heads I left all the studs in place exactly for that reason. Headers bolted right up and with no leaks.

Back