• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F&$*ing Fuel Leak....HELP please!!!

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, ok switched the rubber hoses connecting the fuel tank side vent tubes to the exterior tubes. Now it leaks even worse than before. A couple problems. I think the "short" interior vent tube is on the driver's side of the inside of the fuel tank. If that's true, the original set up that I just changed had that short tube connected to the long exterior tube going into the trunk. But, it was leaking. We just switched them because I heard some aftermarket tanks switched the inside vent tubes, when we switched, now it leaks worse.

I'm at my wit's end. First, how can I tell what the inside orientation of the vent tubes is? Second, when you look at an OEM picture of how they are supposed to connect, the short inside tube gets attached to the short outside tube.

Any help appreciated. Also, is there any special type of hose I should be using for gasoline applications?

Thanks,

John

Roadcuda

Reaction score
First off John, where is it leaking from? The end of the tube, or at the connection? What kind of clamps are you using on the hoses? I have the screw type on mine and have no problems, and to be honest I don't know which tube goes to which connection on the tank. Another thought, I assume that you have the short tube angled up towards the trunk floor. IIRC that should put the end of that tube 4 or 5 inches above the top of the tank which should be enough to keep it from leaking even on most down hill angles.

Steve

Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine.I had the same problem if I hit the brakes to hard petrol would come out the vent tubes.I tied the tubes as high as possible and now no problems.
enginepics2008.jpg

JJRJR

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
First off John, where is it leaking from? The end of the tube, or at the connection? What kind of clamps are you using on the hoses? I have the screw type on mine and have no problems, and to be honest I don't know which tube goes to which connection on the tank. Another thought, I assume that you have the short tube angled up towards the trunk floor. IIRC that should put the end of that tube 4 or 5 inches above the top of the tank which should be enough to keep it from leaking even on most down hill angles.

Roadcuda, as near as I can tell, it's coming out from where the small rubber hose connects the metal vent tubes to the tank. I'm going to try to use longer rubber hose and tighten down on the screw type clamps a bit more. Also, it was suggested to me that I use a "vented" fuel cap. I'll see if I can find one and let you know how I make out.

Thanks, John.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Steve said:
Here's a pic of mine.I had the same problem if I hit the brakes to hard petrol would come out the vent tubes.I tied the tubes as high as possible and now no problems.
enginepics2008.jpg

Steve, thanks for the great pic. I see you are just using long rubber fuel line for your vents? I'm using pre-bent metal ones that I believe is what the factory used. I don't think it's actually coming out of the tubes, I may have a leak in the rubber hose that I'm using to connect the metal vent tubes to the tank. Going to see if I can find a vented fuel cap as well. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,John.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Roadcuda said:

Roadcuda, as near as I can tell, it's coming out from where the small rubber hose connects the metal vent tubes to the tank. I'm going to try to use longer rubber hose and tighten down on the screw type clamps a bit more. Also, it was suggested to me that I use a "vented" fuel cap. I'll see if I can find one and let you know how I make out.

Thanks, John.
As low as the fill neck is I think your going to loose gas out a vented cap acceleration I would think :huh:

JJRJR

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
JJRJR said:
Roadcuda said:

Thanks, John.
As low as the fill neck is I think your going to loose gas out a vented cap acceleration I would think :huh:

I was wondering that as well. I thought those caps let air in but not let gas out??

JJRJR

Reaction score
Steve said:
enginepics2008.jpg

Steve, if I do away with the metal vent tubes and do what you are doing with just the rubber hose, what do you do just use ties or clamps to hang them above the tank?

Thanks,

J

Roadcuda

Reaction score
John, the leak I had on my old tank was at one of the vent tubes on the tank. I tried to seal it up with JB weld but that didn't work so I got a new tank. I assume you have a new tank? Like you said, try and tighten up the hose screws, and who knows, if it is a new tank there could be a defect with the seal around one of the vent tubes. Anything is possible.

V269

Reaction score
I have a vented gas cap on my tank as well with no problems and no leaks under hard accelerations. They are easy to get. Got mine at a local parts store up here. Carquest I believe but any parts store should be able to get it for you. Look's just like the original one that was on the old tank. Somewhere around $10 I think. :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
they do make gas specific rubber hose. and I always double clamp mine.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
V269 said:
I have a vented gas cap on my tank as well with no problems and no leaks under hard accelerations. They are easy to get. Got mine at a local parts store up here. Carquest I believe but any parts store should be able to get it for you. Look's just like the original one that was on the old tank. Somewhere around $10 I think. :thumbsup:

I had to replace my regular gas cap on my car and found an exact match at Pep Boys! Couldn't believe it!!!

Steve

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Steve, if I do away with the metal vent tubes and do what you are doing with just the rubber hose, what do you do just use ties or clamps to hang them above the tank?

Thanks,

J
I use cable ties.

JJRJR

Reaction score
V269 said:

Thanks, good to know. I've had some tell me that due to the location of the fuel filler neck that I'd leak out of the vented cap under accelleration, but it would seem to me that the caps should be made so that doesn't happen. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again. John

JJRJR

Reaction score
Steve said:
So did ya fix it or still leaking :popcorn:

Hey Steve, I tightend up on the clamps and drove her 25 miles to an Old School Mopar shop so he can get it dialed in, but the leak seems to have gone away, but there was a lot less gas in the tank so that may have had something to do with it.

Thanks,
J

JJRJR

Reaction score
So the shop I took her to that specializes in old school Mopars replaced the existing rubber fuel line that attaches the tank vent nipples to the metal vent tubes. He added several inches more hose and pushed the metal tube in further and clamped it down. So far, she's not leaking. Let's see what happens when I add fuel.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

John

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
So the shop I took her to that specializes in old school Mopars replaced the existing rubber fuel line that attaches the tank vent nipples to the metal vent tubes. He added several inches more hose and pushed the metal tube in further and clamped it down. So far, she's not leaking. Let's see what happens when I add fuel.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

John
good luck

Back