• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floppy side Mirror

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think you have to remove the glass.

I've read that you can get the glass out with a heat gun, but I've never tried it.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mac mentioned to me at Carlisle that he was having the same problem...looks like we're gonna have to figure out a fix on this one...

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Anyone know how to tighten it up. It just swivels freely and very loosely on the ball.

heres the quick fix....i have one of those center punches that you push down and clicks....it makes a center mark without a hammer.....do this all around on the part that surrounds the ball.....this tightens it up....bingo all fixed

BBillyC

Reaction score
Great tip. I used the centre punch and slightly tapped it. The glass flew out and landed on my toe without breaking. Got a good look inside and there is just a simple steel band that is rivited to the mirror base. With ball exposed I gave a few more centre punch marks and now works like a charm. There could be a number of ways to fix it with the glass out but the center punch seemed like a good idea. BTW there are four small areas which the glass glues on to and heating it would work to remove the glass if one wanted.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
just at this moment repaired mine. used a cheap heat gun to gently apply heat to the mirror and loosened the glue that was holding the glass. found 2 screws that were holding the clip that holds friction on the swivel. took both screws out and applied some blue thread locker and reassembled and adjusted tension where the mirror head felt solid but still moveable. used the heat gun to soften the glue on the mirror and reinstalled. hopefully the glass will stay on. this mirror is a repop i bought 2 years ago. hope this helps.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Great tip. I used the centre punch and slightly tapped it. The glass flew out and landed on my toe without breaking. Got a good look inside and there is just a simple steel band that is rivited to the mirror base. With ball exposed I gave a few more centre punch marks and now works like a charm. There could be a number of ways to fix it with the glass out but the center punch seemed like a good idea. BTW there are four small areas which the glass glues on to and heating it would work to remove the glass if one wanted.

it makes a center mark without a hammer....did you use a hammer???...glad to see you got it

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mac said:
just at this moment repaired mine. used a cheap heat gun to gently apply heat to the mirror and loosened the glue that was holding the glass. found 2 screws that were holding the clip that holds friction on the swivel. took both screws out and applied some blue thread locker and reassembled and adjusted tension where the mirror head felt solid but still moveable. used the heat gun to soften the glue on the mirror and reinstalled. hopefully the glass will stay on. this mirror is a repop i bought 2 years ago. hope this helps.

this sounds like the way to do it if there are screws there instead of pop rivets like BBILLY C found.....keep us posted if the mirror falls out

mac

What ?
Reaction score
well after a 20 mile shake down cruise the mirror is still in place and the adjustment is holding. :drive:

Back