• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

flowkooler water pumps

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Some of you may remember an overheating problem I have had if my car sat idling for too long a period, like in traffic, or in line getting into a show. It would run around 170-180, but when it sat it would in a very short time period shoot up to 210-220, and be very hard to keep running. Well someone I know from the cruise in had a similar problem with a 440 in his '63 Dodge. Someone recommened the Flowkooler water pumps. I got mine from Summit for $89.00. It has 7 or 8 impellers which are twice the size of the stock pumps. I installed it on the car today and so far so good. I let it idle about 10 minutes while checking for leaks, then took a short 5 mile ride, and then let it idle another 10 minutes. It stayed around 170 (160 thermostat,) during the ride, and only rose another 5-10 degrees while idling after the ride. It's only the first test, but I'm encouraged that this may have solved the problem. I'll keep you posted. (If anyone sees double, I also posted this on the .org site.) :drive:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Update. Well I went to a show today and this pump has made some difference. It ran around 170 while driving. The temp only went up about 5 degrees waiting to get into the show. After the ride home when it was warmer out, it was around 180, so I let the car idle a few minutes while I opened the garage door, and to see what would happen. The temp rose to around 190 and seemed to hold there. So this is an improvement from what it used to do. If you're having this problem you might want to look into one of these pumps.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Re: flowkooler water pumps Update!

Roadcuda said:
Update. Well I went to a show today and this pump has made some difference. It ran around 170 while driving. The temp only went up about 5 degrees waiting to get into the show. After the ride home when it was warmer out, it was around 180, so I let the car idle a few minutes while I opened the garage door, and to see what would happen. The temp rose to around 190 and seemed to hold there. So this is an improvement from what it used to do. If you're having this problem you might want to look into one of these pumps.

Recently in another thread, Basketcase had asked me about how this new pump was working out. Well on the way home from a show Sunday I pushed the car a bit to make sure that it warmed up good on a day that was in the upper 80s. After getting off the highway and waitng for a long red light, the temp went from around 185 to just under 200 and stayed there. Once moving again it went down to around the 185 mark again. It did the same thing once I got home while I opened the garage door. Before I tried this pump, when in sitting in traffic the temp would shoot up to 220 and start running like crappola, if I could keep it running that is. For me at least, it looks like this Flowkooler was the right solution. I just thought that some of you guys might like to know.

dobie

Reaction score
Back when I had the '68 Satellite, I put a Flowkooler pump on it. The stock one was still on it after all those years. Driving it home from Carlisle she ran right around 200-220. Once we put the new pump on, all was good.

I also put one on my RR, just because. I'd recommend them as well.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nuther thing for the Summit list.....big oval air filter,water pump.....
you guys both running shrouds?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
nuther thing for the Summit list.....big oval air filter,water pump.....
you guys both running shrouds?
I am, with a 26" 3 core radiator.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Does the waterpump have a stock appearance?
What you'll see of it with the pully on, it does look stock, but it's unpainted. It does have what I'm calling structural ribs, there are 4 spaced around the impeller shaft, and run the lenght of it. Because of that rib you have to make sure that the bolts that hold the fan on, are not too long. If they arem they could hit those ribs.

Back