• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow up on my VIN issue

JJRJR

Reaction score
OK, so this has been bugging me. I paid for a Road Runner, not a Satellite turned into one by illegal means. So, I did a bit of research that maybe you guys can confirm.

In 1969, the Satellite was offered only as either a 2 door hardtop (no post), convertible, 4 door sedan, or a wagon. Also, the hood, trunk and both fenders were very different than the Road Runner. It also looks like they came with some shading or something on the rockers under the doors.

My car is a post car, so if it can't be a Satellite, then it must be a Road Runner??

Let's for a moment forget that the actual VIN tag and title say it's a non-pillared hardtop. I'm MUCH less concerned about the VIN tag, if I know that the car started life as a REAL RR.

Thoughts?

John

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your car is either a RR coupe (post) or a Belvedere...unless someone welded in the posts for some reason ...which is VERY unlikely.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Your car is either a RR coupe (post) or a Belvedere...unless someone welded in the posts for some reason ...which is VERY unlikely.
I agree, most likely a runner just by shear numbers. The fenders and deck lid are the same with some trim added.

red 69 runner

Reaction score
I saw a car on Ebay that had a RM21 VIN but was a Rm 23 car.the ad said that during the restoration the owner removed the post and converted the car to a hardtop with roll down windows.I have a post car and I dont know if this can be done but my pop out window area looks a lot smaller than the hard tops.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
red 69 runner said:
I saw a car on Ebay that had a RM21 VIN but was a Rm 23 car.the ad said that during the restoration the owner removed the post and converted the car to a hardtop with roll down windows.I have a post car and I dont know if this can be done but my pop out window area looks a lot smaller than the hard tops.

Oh yeah, it can be done. There is no difference in the sheet metal except for the post being spot welded in.

bobbyb

Reaction score
Another thing you could check is if your car has a front sway bar. Even if it doesn't, you can check the lower contol arms for the tab that the sway bar was bolted too (somebody might have removed it). I believe all big block b-bodies came with a front sway bar. I'm not sure if any Belvederes came with a big block. I'm not saying this is a sure thing, but its something you could check.

JJRJR

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it had a sway bar when I got it. Really doesn't matter anymore, it's water over the dam.

Thanks

bobbyb

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
I'm pretty sure it had a sway bar when I got it. Really doesn't matter anymore, it's water over the dam.

Thanks
I kinda know what you're going through, cause I had a '68 Roadrunner I was redoing and I was half way into it and didn't have a title or a fender tag for it, but it all worked out in the end. Turned out to be a nice car, but I sold it to buy a Hemi crate motor (long story). Good luck with your car.

JJRJR

Reaction score
bobbyb said:
JJRJR said:

Thanks
I kinda know what you're going through, cause I had a '68 Roadrunner I was redoing and I was half way into it and didn't have a title or a fender tag for it, but it all worked out in the end. Turned out to be a nice car, but I sold it to buy a Hemi crate motor (long story). Good luck with your car.

Thanks man, you too.

Back