• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Former member car for sale

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Same old story. One of our former members has his runner for sale. Some one out of PA. Sent him a check to buy the car. After taking it to his bank found out it was no good. It is a good thing the car was not picked up before finding out the check was worthless. It is a shame trying to either buy or sell cars have turned into a hassle. So, beware of these creeps out there. :(

MoparDan

Reaction score
Luckily this all worked out. Cashiers checks are easy to fake also. The only sure thing is cash but if you are stopped carrying cash the police can confiscate it under Civil Asset Forfeiture and getting it back can be almost impossible. Credit Cards? Forget it. I can only see two methods to ensure you get your money. Cash app like Venmo or Zelle. Or, and this is my preferred way to do it. I keep the car until the funds are cleared. I don't care if you came from Timbuctoo, you don't get your car until I get my money. I don't like conducting business this way but this is where we are. There is no honor anymore, the days of business with a handshake are over.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently sold one of my cars via Cashier's Check. No problems whatsoever as it took Reliable Carriers a month and a half to pick up the car after I got the check. Funds were secured and moved to another account LONG before the car ever left my garage...

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Down here we got Bank cheques. They are issued by the bank directly, and cost $10 to take out (sometimes theyll waive the fee). I never heard of anyone faking one, been paid for a couple of cars with them no problem.

Jack R

Reaction score
Banque Check = Cashier's Check

recently I had some collision work done on my grand Cherokee….well fix some damage I did in the outback, the body shop wouldn’t take a cashiers check. Had to be a money order. He told me he has gotten forgeries twice over the last couple years.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Understood - I was merely pointing out that Cashier's Checks are issued by banks... Nothing is foolproof it seems.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The scam artis has got all the angles. My wife and I were scammed by someone posing as our power company. It all seemed Ligget, but red flags went up on my end. The wife got excited and paid the jerks 500 dollars. We contacted consumer affairs and said it went into a bit coin which you cannot trace the money. Well, a little off subject. But maybe there is a special place in Hell for these jerks.

MoparDan

Reaction score
We all have to determine our own comfort level. Risk Vs. reward so to speak. A lot of us were raised in a time when people were more honest. We've heard the horror stories about people getting ripped off, whether it's like the story that started this thread or Russ's situation. We need to be a little less trusting and more skeptical.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Is that the truth for sure. I am always skeptical of what I cannot see or touch. I did buy a car that need a lot of work done too it. But after look all over the US. Had to have it. 7 thou for the condition it was in was a bit much. It had a motor/transmission/and wheel. Just did not see all the rust problem at first. But it was a clean deal. Also know that the original owner was and the second owner. So, everyone be careful with this online age of buying and selling. That old handshake type of deal is not around anymore. LOL.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I get scam emails and calls all the time. My name was found in a car full of drugs in Texas, or, and this one is my favorite, they have pictures of me with a woman in compromising positions who is not my wife. I told the guy to send me some proofs I may want to buy prints. LOL ( My wife passed away 18 years ago) And who hasn't gotten the one from the IRS? Or your friend is in England and his wallet was stolen and he needs money for a plane ticket? The African Prince needs you to take his millions? I'm overseas, the shipping company has my 1971 Hemi Cuda and I only want 20k for it.:mad:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
I always take the bank cheque - with the buyer - down to the bank. I deposit in in my account, money is cleared instantly, and then I hand the papers over. If its fake or forged, he's already inside the bank, and the fuzz is on the way. Easy.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I always take the bank cheque - with the buyer - down to the bank. I deposit in in my account, money is cleared instantly, and then I hand the papers over. If its fake or forged, he's already inside the bank, and the fuzz is on the way. Easy.
How you do it is up to you. We just need to careful.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If it sounds too good to be true, then walk away. I like the one about I am overseas. Had that one pulled on me. The guy had the Gall to call me and say I cost him a bunch of money on the sale of the car. I just Laughed and said that is what a scammer gets. Then hung up on him. :lol:

Back