• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame and other rust? Can it be fixed??

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hello guys, a question about what I can expect to pay for rust repair and if I need to worry about it being fixable at all. My 69 Roadrunner that I just bought is at my mechanic's shop and the body shop hasn't looked at it yet, but I can see the back frame under the trunk lid (next to gas tank on both sides) has some rot/holes in it. It looks like the rest of the frame is solid. I know for sure that the entire trunk pan and the front/back seat pans need replacing, other than that, I THINK the rest of the frame/bottom is ok.

At first I was just going to get the car "presnetable" so I can drive it, etc. But now knowing what I have and what it can be, I want to go further. I can't afford a full rotisserie restoration, but would like to do something a bit below; frame on restoration?? First, can the frame rails or any other unseen rust be fixed by a body shop? Second, how costly is it to have trunk and front/rear seat pans replaced? Is it best to buy the pre-formed replacements or just go with sheet metal from the body shop?

Just looking for a ballpark cost of the body restoration and if I need to be worried about if I spend $6,500 for something that can't be fixed?? The motor and tranny are a known quantitiy. I know what that will cost and that it can be done, just have no clue about the body. Right now the car is yellow hardtop. Gonna change color to Ivory Green Mettalic I think it's called. The wife and I love that color and I think it's a correct color for a 69.

Next, I'll have questions about the interior rebuild, but for now anxious about the body work. Thanks again guys for all your help.

Best, John.

Back