• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end ride height adjustment?

woodwiz

Reaction score
I have the front end ride height on the 70rr from ground to center lip of the front fender set at 25-3/4". In theory would i have to adjust the lower control arm adjusting bolts down to the desired ride height which might be 1" lower? Does cranking that bolt outward have to move that far to get to that height? Also i"m aware of the realignment needed once i get the height right.Just seems like the height moves up or down ot relevant to the turns on the bolt....Thanks!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Torsion bar bolt adjustment on the bottom. Tighten to go up loosen to go down. If you don't go too much might not need alignment . Section on here in the manual Maintenance and repair.

TOMRR

Reaction score
I have moved mine as much as an inch, I measured 26 inches from center of front fender lip to floor. I then had an alinement check; My Choice and it was ok (It was in good Alinement before I adjusted front end height) Make sure you move (Rock) front end up and down to get it to settle in!! Before you check measurement. My point is if you know you have good alinement already you should be ok. Never hurts to have it checked if you want to be sure!!

008.JPG

woodwiz

Reaction score
Yes sir! I’m aware of those torsion bar adjusters. Here’s the deal. Right when I got the car I could stand straight back away from the backend and on level ground see a slight lean to the driver’s side. So advice from the forum suggested that I crank up the drivers side torsion bar adjustment and some of that lean came back up. So here I am with the adjusters unevenly adjusted,but as it sits now the floor to fender lip(front) are the same. I put in new HD leaf springs this past summer and my ride height maybe came up 1” and I like where that is. Bottom line is I’m rebuilding some if not all of the front suspension parts just tighten it all up.
Trying to decide on the totally loaded upper control arms from Classic $100 apiece or just get the upper bushings.
Don’t have a press, but the upper ball joints are new. Just figured I’d play with the ride height before I pull all of that out…any other thoughts?
Sorry to run on about it!!
Thanks!

FC582A26-8635-4664-A7D2-45487F0B8133.jpeg

CB1E42E3-AB97-487E-88B6-40C672152726.jpeg

quikbird

Reaction score
From the picture the upper control arm bushings are completely shot. A real pain to try to replace. Especially without a press. I’d buy the loaded ones if it was mine.

woodwiz

Reaction score
I backed out the adjusting bolts for the torsion ride height last night and went for a spin and to start prior to the adjustment i was at 26" both sides at the floor to top lip of each fender well. After the ride they are at 25" each,just right! The odd part is the bolts are backed out at different lengths in relation to the control arm. I'm sure the alignment guy will dial it all in right after new suspension parts are installed.

Back