• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front suspension Colors...

Collin

Reaction score
Painting the K frame and replacing front suspension parts did you guys paint everything black or did the lower control arms get painted that gold color? Any input?

:hack: :facepalm: :leg: :wedgie: by the way, these new ones are great!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Collin said:
Painting the K frame and replacing front suspension parts did you guys paint everything black or did the lower control arms get painted that gold color? Any input?

LCRs were actually just cosmoline-dipped... There is a paint that matches this appearance closely...let me look around...I'll get back to you...

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor man's Cosmoline. Found it on the LOH Playground. It is made by VHT and called "translucent metal tint coating". Color # is SP-233 Gold. This type of finish would be found on both UCRs and LCRs. Here's a pic:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I wish that had been around (or if it was, that I had known about it) back in '03 when I put my car back together. That looks sweet!

Collin

Reaction score
Wow thats great, I think that would be a nice touch to my front suspension. what do you guys think??

Can you post the link of where you bought it please! Thanks!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Collin:

Here's a really good thread with a bunch of the info that you're looking for. Make sure that you read all the way through to the second page as the list becomes more and more complete as the guys fill in the info. You may or may not be as fanatical about the undercarriage resto as some of these A12 guys are, but at least the info is available should you choose to go that route. Let me know if you need anything else.

http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1239024963/0

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Before installing this I found the cam bolts on the upper control arms are to be black not zinc.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
As stated many times previously by a number of us on here - very nice attention to detail, Bob. :thumbsup:

What did you use on the LCRs to get the cosmoline-dipped look? Did you put some kind of satin clear or somethnig on the BJ end of the LCR to protect it where the "dip" stops?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
As stated many times previously by a number of us on here - very nice attention to detail, Bob. :thumbsup:

What did you use on the LCRs to get the cosmoline-dipped look? Did you put some kind of satin clear or somethnig on the BJ end of the LCR to protect it where the "dip" stops?
I painted the arm a metal color then used a combination of gold colors. I read where the control arms were dipped so the ball joint end usually didn't get treated.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Poor man's Cosmoline. Found it on the LOH Playground. It is made by VHT and called "translucent metal tint coating". Color # is SP-233 Gold. This type of finish would be found on both UCRs and LCRs. Here's a pic:

After re-reading the LOH post it looks like a light application of Cosmoline was sometimes found on the UCRs. Just a clarification.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I read where the control arms were dipped so the ball joint end usually didn't get treated.

Exactly. Nice job recreating the dipped look. :thumbsup:

Collin

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Collin:

Here's a really good thread with a bunch of the info that you're looking for. Make sure that you read all the way through to the second page as the list becomes more and more complete as the guys fill in the info. You may or may not be as fanatical about the undercarriage resto as some of these A12 guys are, but at least the info is available should you choose to go that route. Let me know if you need anything else.

http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1239024963/0

Ray

Thats pretty detailed! I dont think Im going to paint each nut and bolt seperately, just wondered bout the cosmoline.... That chart is great though, so cool pics on that page too

Collin

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Before installing this I found the cam bolts on the upper control arms are to be black not zinc.

That looks really great!! :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
You can also find cosmoline online. I bought some several times, of all places, amazon! :crazy: I use it liberally to protect freshly machine blocks and heads that are going to sit.

John69RR

Reaction score
We've recently started using a product called LINEBACKER at the plant. This stuff works like cosmoline but it is in a spray can. Unlike cosmoline it dries hard. It also has a golden tint to it. The more you spray the darker the color. I have seen it at NAPA for about $12.00 for about a 14oz. can.

Back