• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front windshield

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
This past weekend my glass guy and I tried to put the front windshield in. Seems the glass is too big. Yes after market glass. Made in china so my glass guy say's. He ripped the gasket at the drive's side top corner. So have a new gasket coming. Any ides on how to measure the glass so we can cut it down for fitment.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If it was an OER gasket they are junk. Also start at the top like the service manual says it gets you around the top corners before the gasket gets tight

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It was a precision gasket. We fallowed their direction's on install. As well as looked on the net. Did look in the service manual. But can't argue with the glass guy he is doing this on his day off. Don't want to piss him off. LOL. Thanks for the info and will try again. At least we did not brake the glass.

quikbird

Reaction score
Put mine in bottom first. Was tight but went in fairly easy. Guess didn’t know I was being a contrarian.
There is a good video on here somewhere of a guy putting his front one in. Was a big help to me when I did mine

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
As all will remember I did put new roof skin on and upper and lower cowl. Did any thing change don't think so. Did a better job of measuring it than the back window opening. But even with bracing things can shrink when welding. We will try again this Saturday. Round two.

nevada dan

Reaction score
I had the same problem last year , the driver side top wouldn't go in without pushing the bottom out , I measured and the drivers side was a 1/4 inch tighter than the passenger side , I looked but it the pillar or roof doesn't appear to have been replaced , we had to grind the driver side top of the windshield from a 1/4 inch and fade it in for about 4 inches, went right in after that

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Where going to try again. The glass guy is bringing his cutter and going to clean the glass up from laminate and miss matched layer's of glass.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So here is an up date on the front Windshield and a few more pic's of engine bay now. Got new gasket in and had to cut on the glass. Took an 1/8 inch off the bottom first thing and off the sides. Then had to trim the top at top outer corners. We took over a 1/4 inch off it over all. Still tight so to another 1/8 off bottom and some more off the top of glass. So it went in. Trim on happy camper now. Had the A/C charged and it works fine also. Thank you to those that offered advice and tip's. Russ. IMG_0101 (5).JPG IMG_0102 (5).JPG IMG_0103 (4).JPG IMG_0104 (3).JPG

HD539

Reaction score
Things are looking really good Russ, it certainly has been a journey. I’m really excited for you so get some video posted when it’s running.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Looks great Russ. I'm sure you are proud.
Yes Russ Hood. One more thing down. Trying to get the brake lines bleed and all the leaks sealed up. Then on to adjusting my driver's side window so the door will close right. Those stainless steel linens sure like to leak at the fitting's. Then have to get a meter match to get the gas gauge to read right. But a lot closer every day. LOL.

Back