• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel gage sending unit rebuild.

TOMRR

Reaction score
I just talk to Bob's Speedometer. I need to replace the fuel sending unit in my 69RR. I know that that is the problem I tested the dash gauge. He said rebuilt price starts at $425. Anyone know a good source for a new sending unit. I heard the aftermarket one are not reliable.

Tom C

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I just talk to Bob's Speedometer. I need to replace the fuel sending unit in my 69RR. I know that that is the problem I tested the dash gauge. He said rebuilt price starts at $425. Anyone know a good source for a new sending unit. I heard the aftermarket one are not reliable.

Tom C
Clean up a old working one there are no good repops. I do a little bending on repops to get the ohms for full and empty as close as possible. Especially empty and that's done with the tank out where I can lift the float with a stick to meter.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Got mine form summit racing. Had to bend the pickup tube to center it in tank. More to the front of the tank. Mine is reading as good as I could get it. Still fill up around a quarter of a tank on gauge reading in car. Just to be sure I don't RUN OUT. LOL.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Got mine form summit racing. Had to bend the pickup tube to center it in tank. More to the front of the tank. Mine is reading as good as I could get it. Still fill up around a quarter of a tank on gauge reading in car. Just to be sure I don't RUN OUT. LOL.
hey Russ. mine reads 3/4 when tank is full. Any Ideas I was thinking may be bending the pick up. tube

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just say with the rake on the car was not reading right. The sending unit goes straight towards the filler neck. The incline in the tank will not give the right reading. Have to get it to lay down in the front of the tank where the fuel is more ample. If you go to Harbor freight and get a fuel line bender can bend it like you want it. With tank empty looked through the filler neck hole with the neck removed will give you a good Idea of what your looking for. Had to do the same thing on my 73 charger after putting air shocks on the car. I have an after-market tank. Or maybe these after-market sending units are not bent like the original ones. Wish you luck it is a challenge to get these things to work like we want.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Just say with the rake on the car was not reading right. The sending unit goes straight towards the filler neck. The incline in the tank will not give the right reading. Have to get it to lay down in the front of the tank where the fuel is more ample. If you go to Harbor freight and get a fuel line bender can bend it like you want it. With tank empty looked through the filler neck hole with the neck removed will give you a good Idea of what your looking for. Had to do the same thing on my 73 charger after putting air shocks on the car. I have an after-market tank. Or maybe these after-market sending units are not bent like the original ones. Wish you luck it is a challenge to get these things to work like we want.
Thanks, I am thinking because it reads full at 3/4 that is what I have to do. Any suggestion on how much to bend?

Tom C.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you get a true empty at empy dont bend the float rod. About all you can do is bend the upper stop up on the sending unit to allow the float to go up more if it hasn't topped out against the tank already. Empty is much more important than full.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just try to get the pickup tub as close to the bottom of the tank as possible. Did not bend my float rod at all. Getting closer to the front of the tank where the sending unit goes into was the best for me. Hope this works for you. 19-gallon tank fill up and drive it till it reads half full. Then fill again and check how many gallons it takes to fill again. That will get you as close as you're going to get. I agree. that knowing where empty is more important. That is why I fill up when I reach a quarter full showing on my gauge. Too old to be walking. LOL.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Just try to get the pickup tub as close to the bottom of the tank as possible. Did not bend my float rod at all. Getting closer to the front of the tank where the sending unit goes into was the best for me. Hope this works for you. 19-gallon tank fill up and drive it till it reads half full. Then fill again and check how many gallons it takes to fill again. That will get you as close as you're going to get. I agree. that knowing where empty is more important. That is why I fill up when I reach a quarter full showing on my gauge. Too old to be walking. LOL.
My gauge reads about 3/4 when I fill up. At a 1/4 should be around 4.75 gallons left in tank. I will have to check at a 1/4 how much that it will take to fill. not much I can do now until spring in MASS.

Thanks for all the replies. Tom C.

553966_410381355694311_314706483_n.jpg

TL44

Reaction score

Tom C
I had John Wolf (Ohio) restore my OG sending unit. Well worth the $175, he's an old skool craftsman! antiqueinstrument.com

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Did not bend the tabs or the float arm. Mine is showing full when pump kicks off. Try to fill it when showing a quarter of a tank. Have gotten close to the empty mark and it took about 16 gallons to fill the tank so think I am really close to how it should read.

Back