• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Gauge

dobie

Reaction score
So the fuel gauge has never worked in my car. I tried 2 different sending units about 3 yrs ago and it never read right. I then went to an aftermarket gauge mounted under the dash. Still wasn't right. I've had a ground strap on it too. That never made a difference. I went back to using the factory gauge since neither one of them worked.

I have an extra factory gauge that I've considered sending out to get calibrated and restored. I guess that would eliminate any gauge questions.

The issue can't really be gauge related though I'm guessing, as an aftermarket one didn't fare any better. Oh, and I just put in a third new sending unit this summer.

Anything I'm missing here on why I can't get a working fuel gauge? And, any recommendations on sending out my factory gauge?

cj69RR

Reaction score
What condition are the wires in that run from the tank to the gauge? If you are having the same issues with all the new parts I'd look at the wires.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
dobie said:
They seem to be ok, as far as I can tell anyways.
for the hell of it run a new wire not routing it correctly on the floor to gauge thru door to see if that help.....that would rule that out

dobie

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Maybe you have to adjust the float on the sending unit? :popcorn:

On the last sending unit I had I tried bending the float arm. Didn't really do anything.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I know that they can cram them plastic floats where the sun don't shine..

I replaced all me with the brass ones and now have all readying correct.

Just a thought for ya.

dobie

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
dobie said:
They seem to be ok, as far as I can tell anyways.
for the hell of it run a new wire not routing it correctly on the floor to gauge thru door to see if that help.....that would rule that out

Ok. Where does the wire connect to up front? I'm assuming someplace that ties into the dash....

dobie

Reaction score
abodybill said:

Just a thought for ya.

No kidding? I know the float I just put in was brass colored.... I was thinking it was brass, but I honestly didn't pay any attention.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
dobie said:
abodybill said:

Just a thought for ya.

No kidding? I know the float I just put in was brass colored.... I was thinking it was brass, but I honestly didn't pay any attention.
Bill, are you talking about the whole sending unit made of brass? I've been told that they are better then the aftermarket units that I guess are made of stainless steel.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
should be a wire s diagrahm in the tech section. If you've tried different gauages and senders, it's gotta be the wiring.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
dobie said:
abodybill said:

Just a thought for ya.

Bill, are you talking about the whole sending unit made of brass? I've been told that they are better then the aftermarket units that I guess are made of stainless steel.

Steve,just the float as them plastic ones get pin holes in and fill with gas and give a false reading.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Is the wire that connect to the sender the original wire, you may want to remove the kick panel on the drivers side floor. Disconnect the harness connector and perform a resistance check between the sender connection and the connector at the kick panel. Ohm it out, it could be the wire is old and corroded especially if it is the original copper wire.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and isn't there a connection around the wheel house in the trunk? if so better check that one too.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Usually the wire for the sender is in the same harness for the tail lights. I t branches off from the harness behind the back seat and runs through a grommet in the trunck floor.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, but I was thinking there was a male/female plug between the trunk and the interior. not sure.

red 69 runner

Reaction score
the fuel sending wire is in the tail lights harness and connects behind the drivers side kick panel.its one plug for all the tail light wires and the fuel gage,blue wire.

Back