• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Line Questions

zupanj

Reaction score
I decided to install an electric fuel pump in the roadrunner this week. I had it around for a few months but am just getting around to it. Here's the issue, the pump has 3/8" nipples and the fuel line is 5/16". This kind of irks me because I ordered a 3/8" line when I put in the hemi but sent it back because I thought it was the same size as whats in the car now. In fact I swear I miked it before I sent it back. I split the 5/16" tubing I tried to install first so I went with 3/8" tubing and double clamped the small sides. I am not comfortable with this arrangement so I'm thinking I will install 3/8' fuel line after buying it again.

Here's the question, I seems the fuel sending unit comes with both a 3/8" outlet and a 1/4" return. If I install a 1/4" return line, how does it hook up in the engine compartment? A vapor separator?

Bob F., I should have looked at your setup more carefully when I was in Phoenix last week.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You would need a vapor separator or a fuel filter with a return. The vapor separator is the black canister in front of the fuel pump, it has an in, an out, and a return, that is metered by its size, It also is the only filter on a hemi car other than the gas tank sock. I will look for the fuel filter part number if you want to go that route. The 5/16 version is Purolator F21117 I would have to dig into my jeeps for the 3/8 #, Not enough time right now but I'll get it .

roadrunner restoration 683 (640x480).jpg

cj69RR

Reaction score
A fuel filter off a early 80's v8 pickup truck has the right filter that you are looking for. Thinking of adding a return line myself and that's what I found would work. Hope this helps.

zupanj

Reaction score
This morning I was thinking it might be cheaper and easier if I could find a fuel pump with 5/16" nipples so I called Carter to ask if they had a similar pump but with 5/16" nipples. I have the Carter 74029 here at the house. The guy gave me another part number but said either pump would only flow 20-30 gph and that is not enough to feed my engine (526 ci/600 hp). I have been looking around in the Summit web site and found an Edelbrock pump that looks like it would would fine for my application though it's quite a bit more money. The pn# is 1791. Does anyone have experience with this pump by any chance? This might be a good question on 'parts also.

I bought my last fuel line from Inline Tube and had no complaints but saw that Mancini has the fuel lines for a bit less money. Has anyone had experience with either group?

moparchris

Reaction score
zupanj said:
This morning I was thinking it might be cheaper and easier if I could find a fuel pump with 5/16" nipples so I called Carter to ask if they had a similar pump but with 5/16" nipples. I have the Carter 74029 here at the house. The guy gave me another part number but said either pump would only flow 20-30 gph and that is not enough to feed my engine (526 ci/600 hp). I have been looking around in the Summit web site and found an Edelbrock pump that looks like it would would fine for my application though it's quite a bit more money. The pn# is 1791. Does anyone have experience with this pump by any chance? This might be a good question on 'parts also.

I bought my last fuel line from Inline Tube and had no complaints but saw that Mancini has the fuel lines for a bit less money. Has anyone had experience with either group?

Get a different pump. That pump is not going to feed that beast. I dont care what they say for flow. The pump manufacturers free flow their pumps and the numbers aren't accurate.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-1 ... /overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-4150/overview/

Here are the two I have used. They both require regulators but any big motor really needs a good fuel source. The Mallory sounds like a can opener (remember those :lol: ) but its really quiet and I ran one for many years on the street with no problems. The Holley is louder but is even more durable.

And use the 5/16 line. It will feed 600 hp no problem when put under pressure. If you were going to use a mechanical to "pull" the fuel then a bigger line would be necessary.

Back