• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank replacement

Anthony

1968 Road Runner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a small suggestion..
Purchase an inexpensive CLEAR fuel filter to see how clean you're fuel is through the glass.
If it's dirty you may want to discover the source.
After buying my 'new to me' RR, the first thing I ordered was a new fuel tank, sender, straps, matt and fuel line. Since the fuel gauge wasn't working it made sense to replace everything I could when the tank was out. My new glass fuel filter was dirty before I even got the tank in the mail- so I knew it was dirty.
Below is a picture of the inside of my fuel tank after it was removed. That debris is hard and crusty like a coral reef. I was floored- just one of the joy's of buying a 'barn find'.
Also, my fuel gauge works now too!

Beep Beep !!

inside RR tank.JPG

CompSyn

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a small suggestion..
Purchase an inexpensive CLEAR fuel filter to see how clean you're fuel is through the glass.
If it's dirty you may want to discover the source.
After buying my 'new to me' RR, the first thing I ordered was a new fuel tank, sender, straps, matt and fuel line. Since the fuel gauge wasn't working it made sense to replace everything I could when the tank was out. My new glass fuel filter was dirty before I even got the tank in the mail- so I knew it was dirty.
Below is a picture of the inside of my fuel tank after it was removed. That debris is hard and crusty like a coral reef. I was floored- just one of the joy's of buying a 'barn find'.
Also, my fuel gauge works now too!

Beep Beep !!

View attachment 26487

Worth while for sure to replace the tank. Kind of funny. A friend of mine has a 69 GTO. Recently he was getting junk in his fuel filter. So he goes through the trouble to remove his fuel tank, not to replace it, but to clean it. I tried to talk him in to buying a new one as they are relatively inexpensive but he wouldn't do it. Oh well!

Wish I would have bought the Spectra Premium on Amazon Prime for $99. Oh well, I'll keep waiting for it to come back down.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yours looked better than mine. Some one had fiber glassed the tank in spot's then put the tank liner stuff in it and you roll the tank over and end over to cover the inside. This stuff never work's it came out like snake skin. Just wanted to clean it to crank the car to get her in the shop and check out the motor. Better to buy a new tank it will last at least 10 year's or so. Unless you go stainless steel should last for ever. Depending on how much chrome is used in the metal process. Have seen poor grade stainless steel rust.

ricks_RR

Reaction score
when I bought my barn find after tuning it all up I found that I could only go about 50 miles and the two clean plastic gas filters I put on were full of rust and s##t so I put a new tank and sending unit in .I wont do that again with the next barn find ( just put a new tank in it )

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yep under stand that. Was going to go stainless steel but they are pretty pricey so figured a good new tank will probably out last me. What was the make of the tank you bought. Is it steel galvanized. :kartman: Oh my gosh they killed the coyote !!!!! :lol:

ricks_RR

Reaction score
classic car auto parts fit great steel galvanized .and it will out last me plus a great piece of mind that the motor is getting clean gas

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
With you on that. I will toss the old tank when putting the car back together. Also new radiator. Figured they have out lived their time. Russ. :thumbsup2:

ricks_RR

Reaction score
I bought a new one of those to don't need to be in traffic and have the radiator start leaking at the seams

Back