• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank problem's.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So my car did it too me again. It acted like it ran out of gas. Tried to crank and it would try and not go. So was lucky has pulled into my buddy's drive way. He gave me a can with fuel about four gallons. The car fired up and got home. Yesterday took the sending unit out and got 15 gallon's out of the tank. The strainer on the after market sending unit had come off in the tank. So with the car raise up in the rear. It was showing the pick up tube is too far up towards the filler neck in the tank. All the fuel is up front where the sending unit is in the tank. Thought to my self maybe the pick up tube has a pin hole or some thing. Checked it and not so. Been chasing this problem for a few month's now. So had taken the old sending unit and tank and bent the pick up tube so it would lay more on the bottom and too the front of the tank. So took my new one and bent it the same way yesterday. Now the sending unit is reading half a tank of fuel and before doing that it was reading a quarter of a tank on fuel gauge. No it was not vapor locked because when adding fuel the day before it fired right up. So going to test drive to day and see if the problem is fixed. Had to do this same thing with another car years ago that I had put air shock's on. I was temped to put a clunk on the sending unit like air craft has so no matter where you turn the clunk is sitting in the fuel. A flex line with a heavy weight on the end of the flex line hooked to the sending unit. Wish me luck. Russ.

Back