• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Tank Strap Install Problem

dobie

Reaction score
So my RR is home. Already have a problem ..... I crawled up underneath to put in the tank and I realized I'm now missing the driver side mounting bracket. Wonderful. Anyone have a quick, easy fix? Other than fabricating a bracket or something, or am i pretty much screwed? ?
:brickwall:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Re: Gas Tank Strap Install

dobie said:
So my RR is home. Already have a problem ..... I crawled up underneath to put in the tank and I realized I'm now missing the driver side mounting bracket. Wonderful. Anyone have a quick, easy fix? Other than fabricating a bracket or something, or am i pretty much screwed? ?
You mean it didn't get welded to the floor? Look at AMD maybe.

dobie

Reaction score

Yeah. One of the brackets didn't make it on.

Unreal. Not the shops fault. I just didn't catch it.

dobie

Reaction score

I just looked at AMD's site. I didnt see anything, although maybe I missed it.

dobie

Reaction score
I have a couple of feelers out locally, but by chance does anyone have an extra bracket laying around? I can't find them repoped anywhere.

** Update **

I just called Stephen's Performance. I guess they're available, but only by buying a whole kit for $140.00

Unreal. :brickwall:

dobie

Reaction score
Wow.... good gosh...

Well, thanks Mac. At least they're out there.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
what happened to the bracket that was one there? I'd hit a boneyard Steve. should be easy to find. and cheap. let me know, I can look around here if you can;t find one.
anyone here have a parts car?

dobie

Reaction score
I honestly dont know. My uncle is convinced that we saved both of them, however I dont remember. Like everyone here knows, thats the problem when you tear something apart 2+ yrs ago then let it sit. The pieces/parts have been moved around between my uncle's house and different spots in my own house multiple times.

My theory: If the bracket was saved, it was probably put into the box containing the new trunk floor. That box was taken up to the shop, where it probably got thrown away. I dont specifically remember saving it though. I still cant find one of my historical license plates either. No freaking clue where that went. I have the other plate, but I always kept one in the car. It's vanished, and I dont remember seeing that for over 2 yrs either. :brickwall:

Ive tried the local yards. I thought I had one Friday morning, but when he went to pull it out of a 68 Coronet, it fell apart on him. The local yards have been pretty much picked clean around here, or bought up years ago. I cant find anything local. Im gonna try to get the car up there this week and see if something can even be fabricated. For me, it doesn't have to be "correct." It just has to be functional and safe. I really dont want to pay $60+, wait for a week to be shipped, then wait another week or 2 to get it back into the shop. But, my luck is terrible, so that's probably what's gonna happen. I had hoped it would be ready to drive down for the Nat's, but Ive pretty much given that up now.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
license plate....you always kept one on the car...did you leave the plate on the bumper? check for the other plate under the plate that';s already on. I used to do that when I ran one plate, and one of the Goveners men polietly informed me one day that wasn't kosher. loked all over for the other plate. finally remembered I put the two plates together so I wouldn't loose it.but since you've already fot the Historical plate, why not get a set of 1968 plates(antique shops, ebay, that's where I got mine.)
as far a fabbing a strap bracket....why not a chunck of angle iron, could use a regular bolt for the strap then. there's a couple yards I can check for you, but wouldn't be untill Wednesday.

dobie

Reaction score
I do have 1968 plates on it. As required tho, I kept the historical plate in the back seat. Two years ago I seemed to have misplaced it. No clue where I put it. There's no plate on the bumper currently, as I have yet to put the 68 plate back on.

Anyways, yeah that's what I'm thinking too for the bracket. Just fab something up that will work. We'll see. I gotta figure out to put my steering column back together first, so I can drive it back to the shop.

Back