• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank will not top off

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I don't fill up the car often but I've noticed that when i'm on a quarter tank of gas the gas pump stops after 10 gallons. I will keep pumping but of course it will stop after a few seconds. I've also back it out some trying to find a spot where it will keep flowing. It did back up on me a few times. I finally said hell with it and I cranked her up and only had 3/4's of tank. I tired searching the forms but haven't really seen anything think like my issue. Has anyone else had this issue before? Not a big deal but I just want everything to work :D Thanks in advance!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
gas gauge wrong??
:yeathat: Very common that the sending unit has been changed out and the reproduction units are way off.

V269

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
gas gauge wrong??
:yeathat: Very common that the sending unit has been changed out and the reproduction units are way off.
Yep, your tank is full and your gas gauge is incorrect like most everyone else. Been a big PITA for a lot of guy's on here. :yesnod:

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Well glad to hear im not the only one LOL Well at least I will know it's just off. I just hope when it gets close to empty I don't run out because it's off LOL
Thanks!

red 69 runner

Reaction score
Mine is off by 1/2 tank with the new sender,was off by 1/4 tank with the old one,I just fill it back up when it hits empty.

dutchrunner

Reaction score
My first run with new sender in tank was fun.
Had to push car when empty and gauge said 1/4 full.

Just empty compleet and then put in 10 gallon per time and check gauge movement.

JJRJR

Reaction score
V269 said:
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
gas gauge wrong??
Yep, your tank is full and your gas gauge is incorrect like most everyone else. Been a big PITA for a lot of guy's on here. :yesnod:

Man you can say that again. I've heard there is some OHM test you can do to get the aftermarket sending units to work better? Anyone done this? I'd love to get mine working.

John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Man you can say that again. I've heard there is some OHM test you can do to get the aftermarket sending units to work better? Anyone done this? I'd love to get mine working.

John
Using an ohm meter with the unit on the bench you can set empty. Mine ended up about 1/16th of a tank off at each 1/4 so at full its 1/4 above full but at least I know where empty is.

A31PKG

Reaction score
FYI the tank holds about 19 gallons. Knowing this, you can monitor how much it takes to fill it from a given level (per the gauge) and sort of estimate where you're at.

Back