• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Tank

dobie

Reaction score
Any recommendations on where to get a new gas tank from? I saw some at the Classics for $150. If I knew then that I needed a new one, I would've bought one. I guess this will be the part I'll try to get at Carlisle.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I got mine at Rock Auto along with new straps... nice stuff at a great price IMHO.

If you go with new straps, make sure you PRE BEND the new ones to match the old... it'll make installation soooo much easier! Like a fool, I bent my old ones up into tiny blocks and threw them away. :brickwall:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
If you don't care what country it's made in you shold be able to get a good deal. At Carlisle 2 years ago I had found one for $120. Seriously considered it. When it was time to go and I still had money, I went to get one. I took a closer look and found they were made in Taiwan. The search continued. I finally found one on e- bag for $160, made by our Canadian freinds.

dobie

Reaction score
Looks like Rock Auto has the Spectra brand. $154 isn't a bad price I suppose.

Another question: Is one sending unit better than another? I have a brand new one, and yet my gas gauge still doesn't read right. I have a ground strap installed, and all of the other factory gauges work fine. I don't know what brand mine is, as my uncle had bought it a few years ago and gave it to me last year.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Van's had some at The Nats last year for $120. Looked at them. pretty good. didn't notice where they were made. Steve, what's wrong with your tankl? Is it fixable?(some of us like that kind of stuff) And Chris, NEVER throw old parts away!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
There are some sending units out there to be had for 50 bucks or so. Not sure where they are made but I can guess based on the price.

I have had the 120 or more ones before and was happy.

I can't offer any advise one the tank but 160 for one made in Canada wouldn't be too bad. I remember them being aboiut 300 bucks when I first got into this in the mid 90's. I had to give 150 for a used one.

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Van's had some at The Nats last year for $120. Looked at them. pretty good. didn't notice where they were made. Steve, what's wrong with your tankl? Is it fixable?(some of us like that kind of stuff) And Chris, NEVER throw old parts away!

I filled up the car 2 nights ago and drove it straight home. Standing outside for a few minutes I noticed I had a pretty big puddle starting underneath. Overnight she dropped out almost a gallon of gas. The next morning I got up and siphoned out another 5 gallons. It looks to be leaking from the sending unit area. Not from the unit itself, but the circle welded onto the tank itself.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
dobie said:
Another question: Is one sending unit better than another? I have a brand new one, and yet my gas gauge still doesn't read right. I have a ground strap installed, and all of the other factory gauges work fine. I don't know what brand mine is, as my uncle had bought it a few years ago and gave it to me last year.
You need to tune that too before you install it permanently or at least check it real good. Seems every B body guy I've ever met said his read 3/4 FULL. I had to bend my float down about 1/8"-1/4" Plug it in before you install it into the tank and raise it all the way up and see what your gauge reads and go from there.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
dobie said:
Basketcase said:

I filled up the car 2 nights ago and drove it straight home. Standing outside for a few minutes I noticed I had a pretty big puddle starting underneath. Overnight she dropped out almost a gallon of gas. The next morning I got up and siphoned out another 5 gallons. It looks to be leaking from the sending unit area. Not from the unit itself, but the circle welded onto the tank itself.
Steve, you might want to check the vent tubes for leaks. That was the problem I had. When the tank was full, and parked on a slight downhill, with the front of the car on the lower end, it would drip from one of those tubes. I wasn't able to seal it back up so I got the new tank.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
dobie said:
You need to tune that too before you install it permanently or at least check it real good. Seems every B body guy I've ever met said his read 3/4 FULL. I had to bend my float down about 1/8"-1/4" Plug it in before you install it into the tank and raise it all the way up and see what your gauge reads and go from there.
My gauge reads that way too. I tried to bend it up but still didn't get it enough. In a way it's better this way as I know that if I let it get to show empty, I will still have about 4-5 gallons in it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I had to replace my sending unit it was pretty much new, I replaced it and the tank when I got the car the old one was rotten. I tested the unit because it was a 1/4 tank off and found it went bad in storage and the fill neck grommet died in the heat also. I got my new unit from Hoover auto parts, its alot better quality and tested perfect and has a brass float to boot. Dobie the filler neck grommets are about 30 bucks shipped, let me know if you want a better deal, I had a blonde moment and have two.

dobie

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
dobie said:

Well, mine never goes above 1/2. And then, she'll drop off to 1/4 to E pretty quick.

:brickwall:

dobie

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
dobie said:
Basketcase said:

Steve, you might want to check the vent tubes for leaks. That was the problem I had. When the tank was full, and parked on a slight downhill, with the front of the car on the lower end, it would drip from one of those tubes. I wasn't able to seal it back up so I got the new tank.

Vent tubes appear to be ok, as in that area is dry, whereas the bottom of the sending unit area was soaking with gas.

dobie

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I had to replace my sending unit it was pretty much new, I replaced it and the tank when I got the car the old one was rotten. I tested the unit because it was a 1/4 tank off and found it went bad in storage and the fill neck grommet died in the heat also. I got my new unit from Hoover auto parts, its alot better quality and tested perfect and has a brass float to boot. Dobie the filler neck grommets are about 30 bucks shipped, let me know if you want a better deal, I had a blonde moment and have two.

Thanks for the offer. If this is the big round thing, then I think I have one. Bought it at Carlisle last year I think.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
might just be the sending unit seal Steve. OR, I have seen the gas line in that goes thru the sender get loose. just have to pull it and re solder it.

Back