• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General rant about parts for my car

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I couldn't get wheel cylinders, wheel seals, or USA bearings in my small hometown last week.

I had a set of front wheel cylinders on the shelf and while they were the correct part numbers on the box, both contained left side pieces, requiring a trip to trade out the extra left one, made in the USA, for a nice CHINA part for the right. That took an hour one way to go to the reginal warehouse to get one.

CR grease seals were availible local for a mere 24 bucks EACH. I could have waited and got Nationals for 2.39 each. The DC hooked me up with a pair of those same Nationals for 14 EACH. I was pissed.

Top it off, I obtained a China wheel bearing local, but told the folks at the DC if they had a USA bearing I would take it. I was told that those were ome of the last hard parts still made here, so I took one.

Got home and it was a ******' China part :brickwall: Should have looked.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Luckly, I haven't had to get a lot of parts for my car. But what I have gotten, and finding out how much is made out of country is really pissing me off. When I was looking for a new gas tank for my car at Carlisle a few years ago I found one that was going for 120. After I had found everything I really needed and still had some money, I went to take another look at the tank. That's when I found out it was made in Taiwan. :toetap: I walked away. I later found one on-line that was made in Canada, which I had no problem getting, because it's at least made in No. America! They say it dosen't cost them as much to make the parts out of the country, but as you found out they aren't selling them any cheaper, and from what I've heard the quality is non-exsistant. And the sad part is there seems that there is nothing we can do about it. :brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
there is a post on the 'parts about a 833 bearing like that. One poster sugested checking with bearing suppliers for the part #. The trans bearing was used in other aps, like farm tractors. he was able to score made in USA ones like that. It does suck that so much of out manufacturing is outsourced. I've told my local Caruest guy I don't mind paying his higher prices for "Made in U.S.A." parts. But now we're running into "no longer made in" parts...... :soap: I don't know if they're still made here, but how about rebuilding yoour wheel cyls? I remember my Uncle doing this. Do we still make that stuff here?
In all my reading and watching of WWll history one thing is constantly repeated......the manufacturing capapilites the United States HAD. Not any more...... :soap:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
CarQuest is the place that gave me the China parts and said they were USA.

I saved mine for rebuilding later but I didn't have time to look into getting a kit and doing them myself. Of course I thought I had USA stuff sitting on my shelf so what did it matter in my mind at the time? :soap: :brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah now you have to watch for just the box being Made in Usa, or the ever popular "assembeled in USA" (with parts of forigen origin) :brickwall:

Back