• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting front & rear ride height on the same page.

woodwiz

Reaction score
I know about the front end torsion bar height adjusters on the 70RR and if i lift it enough it will throw the alignment out and be in need of a reset. The rear however will need to explore the options: Airshocks...rather not,beef up the springs also rather not,slightly longer shackle..as long as not noticeable.
Or match the front to the back and live with it....What do the suspension guru's have to say?
Thanks!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
think I said this before. 2 1/2 inch recurve on my rear six leaf spring's no need for air shock's or longer shackles. It might ride a little stiffer in the rear. Set my front end at 25 and 1/2 inch form floor to center of fender well. But still have a lot of adjuster bolt left. My friend said he measured his before taking the car apart. From head of bolt to adjuster plate he had one inch. I may try that and see where it takes the fender measurement. Think that will give me another inch. But the car dose need to be loaded. Or should I say completely put together with a full tank of gas.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Hey Russ! What does that recurve procedure for the leafs entail? And est. cost?
Thanks bro!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Mine bolted right on. Every thing fit well. The shock's are extended to the max just about. But the tank is not filled and spare tire and part's in the trunk are not in yet. Like jack and that stuff. I was disappointed in the paint job on the new spring so busted them down and painted them my self. Epoxy then clear coat. LOL. Man I have bought so much stuff for this car. Try to remember where I got them. Maybe in one of my old post here I mentioned where I got them. Price wise around 200 or so. But figured I did not want air shock's because of how undependable they where when getting older. Thought about coil over shock's but then you have room issues. Just looked back and surfed the net for spring's General spring company is where I got mine. Went with six leaf both side's.

V.R.D

Reaction score
in the factory service manual page 4 of section 2 is how to set ride height for front end.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Depends on what look you want. These things came from the factory pretty much flat and maybe a bit low in the back. I just took a pair of leafs to Valley spring to take the arch back out that some one had added, my customer likes the factory look. The cost is half that of new springs, call them for a price.

Jack R

Reaction score
Depends on what look you want. These things came from the factory pretty much flat and maybe a bit low in the back. I just took a pair of leafs to Valley spring to take the arch back out that some one had added, my customer likes the factory look. The cost is half that of new springs, call them for a price.

valley spring did my leafs too. Always happy with their work.

quikbird

Reaction score
Car is really only adjustable with your desires on front end. Most cars like a little rake ie slight drop in the front from the back.
Shackles will show, air shocks have a real problem in that the top of the shock attaches to a bar that will not support the weight of the car, coil overs with something like the ride tech airbar are doable but will take a little time. ( I fished a 3 inch exhaust through mine. Not too easy), recurved springs work but as Russ has found out, will probably need a slightly longer shock. ( check the length on the rubber brake hose connector to the rear end if you raise it. Might need a slightly longer one of those as well.)

James Kelly Heaton

Old Runner Lover. Building a 68 6.4 Hemi TR6060
Reaction score
If you shop around I found the Mopar B Body Super Stock springs (extra short leaf on the right) shipped and everything for 260. Already had new front eye bushings. Just the shipping had to be a hundred bucks. They weigh about 50+pounds each. Mine is just a roller with OEM shackles at the moment, so I have no idea where it will sit when I get everything put in. I'm going to have a sub box and 2 Amps in the trunk. I suspect the rear will be high for a while till they settle in. Can't beat new metal, I worked in a spring shop a long time ago. You would be surprised how many broken leafs crack at the center bolt. They do fatigue over time and spring cycles, especially after 50-60 years. I'm hoping it doesn't ride like a 1 ton truck...

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Say James. I got the 2 1/2 recurve spring's six leaf. Thought the same thing as you on riding like a one ton truck but it rides really nice. Did not want to jack up the rear with shackles and air shock's. Think you will find out it rides just fine. :thumbsup:

James Kelly Heaton

Reaction score
Thanks Russ. I saw Summit had multiple Mopar rear leaf spring sets. I got the cheapest set last year - 127.99 each. Seems they are rated for 3200 pound. I also saw 3400, 3600 and 3800 pound B body sets. Thinking about the 1.1 inch torsion bars for the front. The 440 with AC and aluminum heads is going to weigh a bunch. I used them on my 68 Charger and they were not harsh at all. Thanks for the support. Car is in pieces in storage until I get my shop built and electrified. Pouring the slab today. Steel building to follow in a couple weeks. I'll start posting pics as I get through with the metal work on the RR.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yep just give us a snap shot every now and then with the progress. WE LOVE PICTURES. :kartman: now where is my beer assistant?????

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't beat new metal
That statement would have been true in the past. However, now that everything is made out of Chineseum that is no longer the case. I'll take the 50 year old American-made metal over new, poorly made, ill-fitting, chinese junk everyday of the week. JMHO.

James Kelly Heaton

Reaction score
Problem is finding a good spring shop anymore. Referred a friend with a 34 Ford Vicky to a local frame shop that did great work in the past. They farmed out the re-arching to a spring shop. They made new main leafs and put the new center hole in the wrong place one spring and the the car crabbed sideways till we took it apart and showed the distance from the eye bolt to the center bolt was different on each side. He was using a Lincoln Versiai 9 inch b/c it was narrow and had disc brakes. No Bueno. Some times Chineseuim is better than bullshitium quality! The new pair of Mopar parts I got from Summit Racing fit perfect with OEM shackles. ;(

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The poor workmanship situation/dilemma is not just applicable to spring shops unfortunately; can be found everywhere one looks these days...

We still have a couple of pretty good spring shops in the Tampa Bay area. The one I use has been around for 30+ years. As such I'm still a resounding "NO" on the Chineseum... :moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I have found over time it's just better to do it yourself. I started building my own race engines a couple years ago. I been working on the Road Runner too. Nobody will be more meticulous than yourself.

Back