• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greedy Incompetent Transmission Shop-Possible Spun Crank Bearing

OutLawBiker

Reaction score
1973 Plymouth Road Runner
LA 360 30 over
340 X Heads 1968
Edelbrock Air Max Intake Manifold
Holley 750 Dual Feed Single Pump Vacuum Secondaries
Custom Headers

Uses* Street / Drag 1/4 Mile

After I picked up my car from the transmission shop-
Developed what sounded like I spun a crank bearing-
Extremely loud knock on start up and increased with the RPM as she warmed up it quieted down a bit-
Sounded like the rear cylinder (8) on the right bank-
Small amount of fine metallic particles in oil-No pieces or chunks of any destruction found-
Compression 140-145 in all cylinders-
Torque Converter Bolts Loose-

This all started when I took her to a locale transmission shop and asked the owner to build me a 727 Stage 2 transmission, wanting to keep my money local and in my community.
That's not what happen-
Instead, he ordered a Stock 727 rebuilt on line and changed 2 components. I had to replace the converter when he broke two good ones I supplied. Hughes 3000 Stall and a fairly new 1800 stall. I bought a new 2400 Stall from Summit Racing along with a new B & M ratchet floor shifter he said I needed to replace the older one I drove in with.
I had to drive her carefully for the first 500 miles. At around 325 miles I got on it, and she shifts from 1st to 2nd fine however, 2nd to 3rd was a disaster. She fell on her face as if the line pressure was dialed far to low. I repeated this a few more times under a varied number of conditions with the exact results.
Could this cause an engine malfunction like a spun bearing or ?
All in all I paid $4000.00 for a stock rebuilt transmission-Not to mention the 3 Torque Converters and Shifter.
I got screwed big time-to say the least! And he was a d==k about it on top of it all. I am at an impasse, and I am asking for the help and direction of my fellow members-please!
Does anyone of the gurus here have a similar result or can give advice on how to proceed? I have pulled the engine and oil pan and the problem is not forthcoming.
I am stuck at this junction-

Jack R

Reaction score
That’s too bad, sorry for your misfortune. Not likely the transmission problem caused an engine problem. How did they “break” the converters?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sound's like a disaster to me. You need to to find another shop for sure. That noise dose not sound good to me. Being at the back of the motor could mean that it is coming from the transmission possible. Don't like to see metal in the oil that is not a good sign. You say it fall's on it's face do you loose power at the motor or this could be a slipping transmission due to improper valve's in it. Sorry for your luck with out being able to see the car in action it is hard to say on this end. Check around with people in your area that have hot rod's and see where they take theirs word of mouth is the best way to find a good shop. Russ.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You are discribing a rod knock not anything a trans would do. Sure you don't have a cracked flex plate?

OutLawBiker

Reaction score
Sound's like a disaster to me. You need to to find another shop for sure. That noise dose not sound good to me. Being at the back of the motor could mean that it is coming from the transmission possible. Don't like to see metal in the oil that is not a good sign. You say it fall's on it's face do you loose power at the motor or this could be a slipping transmission due to improper valve's in it. Sorry for your luck with out being able to see the car in action it is hard to say on this end. Check around with people in your area that have hot rod's and see where they take theirs word of mouth is the best way to find a good shop. Russ.
Thank you, Russ, I appreciate your response. I don't lose power what happens is lack of real power because the transmission is holding back the engine but not because it's slipping. You can feel the motor is trying to get there, but the tranny is holding it back. 2nd gear is good until I shift to 3rd gear, it is there the transmission bogs down hard and immediate (falls on her face).
Let me see if I can explain this better. I had a Stage 2 transmission when I drove my car to the tranny shop. The issue with that tranny it had no reverse and only 2/3rds in 1st gear because the band was adjusted all the way out and therefore needed to be replaced. I thought I would keep that and rebuild it later in the meantime I would have a fresh new Stage 2 built.
So for reference purposes we will identify Tranny one as what I had in my car when I took it to the shop to have a new tranny built-
Tranny 2.
Tranny one would throw you in the trunk if you weren't strapped in, even with her faults. So I am aware of her potential and tranny 2 is not even in the same league my friend.
I hope I made this clear and not more confusing to you. Please let me know.
Thanks Russ.

OutLawBiker

Reaction score
That’s too bad, sorry for your misfortune. Not likely the transmission problem caused an engine problem. How did they “break” the converters?
I drove in with the almost new 1800 stall and brought him the 3000 stall I had at home. The problem was the 3000 stall was internally balanced. The tranny shop took the weight off the 1800 stall and weld it to the 3000 stall therefore ruining them both.

OutLawBiker

Reaction score
You are discribing a rod knock not anything a trans would do. Sure you don't have a cracked flex plate?
Old Angry White Guy,
Hadn't thought about that since I paid him for a new one-I'll check it out though. Another reason is it quieted down a bit when it warmed up some.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I would pose this problem to Summit tech team or Jeg's those guy's are dealing with these problem's all the time. Maybe you can find a race shop that deals with automatic transmission's.

droptop

Reaction score
Sounds like your problem started with the loose converter bolts. While you have the engine out, I would have it magna-fluxed to check for cracks. Also, if the trans was ran anytime at all with the converter out of balance, it could have hurt the front pump sending metal through the tranny. Also could have contributed to the engine issue.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
It looks like you could have come out much cheaper with an entire unit from Hughes. Buy once, cry once, thats what I heard a while back. Always steers me in the right direction.

OutLawBiker

Reaction score
Sounds like your problem started with the loose converter bolts. While you have the engine out, I would have it magna-fluxed to check for cracks. Also, if the trans was ran anytime at all with the converter out of balance, it could have hurt the front pump sending metal through the tranny. Also could have contributed to the engine issue.
droptop,
Good advice-
How can I be sure that the transmission caused my engine issues? What should I look for?

1968 man

Reaction score
Do you think the shop could have over test drove the car once the transmission was installed? Maybe dogged it and caused the engine failure. It happens!!!!!!

RGAZ

Reaction score
You pulled the oil pan and it looked good (no discolor, etc.) did you pull the tranny pan? That might give you some hints.

How deep into the engine and tranny are you willing to go at this stage? We can help but need to know limits.

RGAZ

MoparDan

Reaction score
Thank you, Russ, I appreciate your response. I don't lose power what happens is lack of real power because the transmission is holding back the engine but not because it's slipping. You can feel the motor is trying to get there, but the tranny is holding it back. 2nd gear is good until I shift to 3rd gear, it is there the transmission bogs down hard and immediate (falls on her face).
Let me see if I can explain this better. I had a Stage 2 transmission when I drove my car to the tranny shop. The issue with that tranny it had no reverse and only 2/3rds in 1st gear because the band was adjusted all the way out and therefore needed to be replaced. I thought I would keep that and rebuild it later in the meantime I would have a fresh new Stage 2 built.
So for reference purposes we will identify Tranny one as what I had in my car when I took it to the shop to have a new tranny built-
Tranny 2.
Tranny one would throw you in the trunk if you weren't strapped in, even with her faults. So I am aware of her potential and tranny 2 is not even in the same league my friend.
I hope I made this clear and not more confusing to you. Please let me know.
Thanks Russ.
It sounds like the 1-2 clutch pack is not releasing. If the 1st shop is being less than responsive to your dilemma, I would take it to another transmission shop for an evaluation. If a problem with transmission is found, Take the information to the 1st shop, if he will not correct the issue I would contact a lawyer. No one should pay over 4 grand for bad work.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Do you think the shop could have over test drove the car once the transmission was installed? Maybe dogged it and caused the engine failure. It happens!!!!!!
Not a Mopar but still a friend's really nice 442 was totaled by a trans shop. All he was getting was a shift kit. Young tech had no idea what kind of power he was dealing with. Yes they test them and hot rod them too.

Back