• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner install

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I will have to get the car down to the trim shop in a few weeks.

The owner installed a 68 GTX headliner about four years ago. He remembers the small u clips for the sides and headliner material, the front clips, the side rail clips, the bows and the bow metal catches on the side and the wire in the back.

But, he like me is not too reliant on his memory. I suggested I would post and possibly get some pictures of their respective placements.

Does anyone have any pictures showing the actual placement of the clips etc?

If need be PM me and I will gladly give you my alternate e-mail address.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
The small u shaped clips are no problem.

It is the ones below I have marked side rail.

I am sure it is simple but I am having a brain cramp on that one!!!

Here is a good link for those tagging along. http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7

He also sells some Cosmoline in a rattle can that emulates the real deal. You can even spray it on water heavy and dip your part. (nice and sticky too)

Some pictures or a pdf drawing scan it and send it to me will help greatly.

The last two pictures below are from Mopar Magazine.

It is the S shaped clip that is causing me problems.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Yep those clips are placed inside the outside molding which covers the headliner at the side rails. You slide them inside the molding and when you put the molding on to cover the headliner seam at the sides they clip on to the pinch weld covered with fabric. Mine had three or four per side. I just positioned mine to be equidistant from the mounting screw positions. Hope that helps.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Clear as mud. I will play with them and the long inner gloss black trim piece. Hopefully the brain cramp will go away.

If I get that right the S clip helps hold the long (in my case black interior black trim piece in place).

I appreciate the instructions and especially the ability to put that to paper and make it make sense.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Yes they are like guides to hold that glossy black inner molding in place. Took me a while to figure it out because when I took mine apart I forgot where they went and in the end it was very logical when you figure out how to slide them in the molding.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I figure I will have a Homer Simpson moment when I get it together. Paul, the trim guy, will probably figure it out in a flash but then if not I am paying the freight.

That sail panel by all accounts I am reading sets behind the fabric?

By the way, thanks for your help.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Don't forget the spring tabs that hold the sail panel cardboard in place. Best to figure out where exactly they fit on the sail panel (if you are making new ones) then install the fabric with spray on contact adhesive. If you are relocating the spring tabs make sure you clean out all of the gunk in the little punched holes. mark where you need them, use a tack hammer and punch them into the sail panel and then dot each with crazy glue.

Back