• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP!!! 440 Intake Manifold Valley Cover and Gaskets

Bobby69RR

Reaction score
Hey All, I bought a new Edelbrock 2191 Performer 440 intake manifold. While trying to install it on my 69 440 Road Runner, I ran into several snags, and hope somebody with more sense than me can straighten me out :).
The Fel-Pro rubber gaskets that came with it were .060 thick, and it included 2 very thick cork gaskets for the front and rear. The intake bolts would not line up, so I removed everything and I'm starting over. I am not sure if the heads have been shaved or not. I ordered a new kit gasket set part #1215 (from Advance Auto Parts) from Fel-Pro which includes the valley cover with blocked-off ports for the heat crossover. The new gaskets for the intake to heads are .030 in thickness. I haven't received the gaskets due to them being a special order. I know I have to RTV seal both sides the valley cover before installing it and the rubber and cork gaskets too. Do the cork gaskets for the front and rear go on top of the valley cover, or underneath it??? Some comments on other sites told me to NOT install gaskets period...just use the valley pan cover and use RTV sealant, but I'm skeptical about doing that. Since I've already wasted a few $ on one gasket set, I don't want to repeat my error. Would someone please explain the sequence to me? Can't figure out why Fel-Pro would offer .060 and .030 gaskets? Maybe to make extra money on a dummy like me ;). HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can also email me at b.lockhart@charter.net

nicanor

Reaction score
Re: HELP!!! 440 Valley Cover and gaskets

I had a similar experience with my Corvette but the holes in the manifold probably didn't line up in my case because the block had been milled a couple of times. I wound up taking the manifold down the the machine shop and they milled the manifold so it would fit properly. Hopefully a thinner gasket would work in your case. We threw away the cork gaskets and at this moment I can't remember the sealant, but there is a sealant that we used and is recommended to use in place of the cork gasket. I bought it at Car Quest but I'm sure other auto part stores sells the same product. In my case, I used new RHS heads so it was in the block. Try the new thinner gasket dry and make sure the holes line up.

But do not elongate the holes to get the manifold to fit.

There are other posters on our website with a lot more experience. I'm sure they'll jump in here soon.

metalstorm

Reaction score

i have used just the valley pan with rtv on each end to seal [frt/rear,corners]i have also reused the pan with indian red [brush or spray]gasket sealer on/around the intake ports.you can use a slice of clay in the intake port to find port match by installing the intake with the clay between it and the head[w/valley plate]

mcmopar

Reaction score

I use the Performer RPM on my 383 with the Fel-Pro valley pan gasket and just RTV around all orifices and under the front and rear rails. No leaks so far.

Bobby69RR

Reaction score

metalstorm said:
i have used just the valley pan with rtv on each end to seal [frt/rear,corners]i have also reused the pan with indian red [brush or spray]gasket sealer on/around the intake ports.you can use a slice of clay in the intake port to find port match by installing the intake with the clay between it and the head[w/valley plate]

Thanks a bunch for your wisdom!!! Hopefully I can now start the assembly.

Bobby69RR

Reaction score

mcmopar said:
I use the Performer RPM on my 383 with the Fel-Pro valley pan gasket and just RTV around all orifices and under the front and rear rails. No leaks so far.

Thanks for the info...I super appreciate your kindness and knowledge :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Are you using the stock valley pan? If so you do not need any paper gaskets or cork on the ends. Just use aviation sealant around the intake ports at he heads just one side and use Permatex #2 on the ends and like said get the corners good. That is all you need to seal it up the stock bath tub has ridges on it that will crush down once you screw in the bolts making it's own seal. The aviation sealant is insurance against leaks. Good lcuk

moparchris

Reaction score
bigmanjbmopar said:
Are you using the stock valley pan? If so you do not need any paper gaskets or cork on the ends. Just use aviation sealant around the intake ports at he heads just one side and use Permatex #2 on the ends and like said get the corners good. That is all you need to seal it up the stock bath tub has ridges on it that will crush down once you screw in the bolts making it's own seal. The aviation sealant is insurance against leaks. Good lcuk
This is exactly what I do myself and have never had a leak. Go for it.

Reaction score
I seem to recall a manufactured valley pan with preinstalled gasket beads around all of the valve ports? The one that I pulled off of mine that is not an original, still has the blue stain from the RTV or whatever sealant beads that I am speaking of.

Back