• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! Outer Wheelhouse for a Convertible

chapdog105

Reaction score

sax69

Reaction score
Attached are a couple pics from the outer well I purchased from Hardensmcw.com. I purchased quite a bit for my RR from them and would recommend them. I did not order them specifically for the convertible. The wheel houses are AMD brand.

Hope it helps

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i think the wheel houses are the same.......some one should have the answer but i dont think there is any differance :D

chapdog105

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Give AMD a call, seems like they should be the same.

I'll do that. I would hate to buy them and have them be the wrong ones. It would seem that the hardtop and vert would be the same on the rear end.
I'm going AMD on the fenders too. I found them about $400 cheaper on Ebay as opposed to purchasing from AMD directly.
On a good news note...My $1225.00 worth of metal showed up yesterday! The trunk floor pan, front floor pans, and my trunk floor brace, and rear quarters are in the garage! Now I need to dish out another $1500 on the fenders and outer wheelhouses.
Looks like I'm going to have me a brand new Bird by the time this "budget" project gets wrapped up.

moparchris

Reaction score
They are different, but I think it has a flat spot on the top of the wheelhouse for the top mechanism. I would buy the ones from AMD. You guys already heard me rant about the quality being better. I would use sections of it light Sax69 did. By the way Sax you Runner is beautiful.

droptop

Reaction score
They are the same, you just have to cut the top off of them and put your caps onto the tops of the new wheel wells.

chapdog105

Reaction score
droptop said:
They are the same, you just have to cut the top off of them and put your caps onto the tops of the new wheel wells.
Looks like that's what Sax69 did to his vert.

Thanks again for all the help fellas, you guys are an amazing resource!

mannye

Reaction score
AS far as I know, they are the same. I can't site a reference for this, but I have heard more than once that the factory basically chopped up hardtops to make ragtops, or rather, the company where they sent the hardtops would simply chop the tops and install the mechanism.

SO... that would lead one to believe that there aren't really any "special" ragtop body panels with the exception of some specialized trim pieces used to hide all the chopping and cutting. Perhaps all they did was take a BFH to the wheelhouse if it needed to clear anything.

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
tops are totally different ? they well work fine just use the lower half
sorry but no , the rear 1/2 is alot different and specific to the convertible , all 66-70 b-body convertibles were built in the st louis plant as convertibles by chrysler . They didnt just cut down hard tops . They also all have hemi torq boxes to support the cars .

chapdog105

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
moparstuart said:
sorry but no , the rear 1/2 is alot different and specific to the convertible , all 66-70 b-body convertibles were built in the st louis plant as convertibles by chrysler . They didnt just cut down hard tops . They also all have hemi torq boxes to support the cars .

I ordered the Hardtop Outer Wheelhouses today from AMD. The salesman I talked to said it's really hard to find wheelhouses for any convertible these days. He said AMD doesn't even make convertible outer wheelhouses for more popular cars, so it's not just a B body thing (not sure how true that is).

I think my best bet is just to do it the way Sax69 did his. It's about my only option at this point...

Al

moparstuart

Reaction score
chapdog105 said:
moparstuart said:
moparstuart said:

I ordered the Hardtop Outer Wheelhouses today from AMD. The salesman I talked to said it's really hard to find wheelhouses for any convertible these days. He said AMD doesn't even make convertible outer wheelhouses for more popular cars, so it's not just a B body thing (not sure how true that is).

I think my best bet is just to do it the way Sax69 did his. It's about my only option at this point...

Al
we just used the bottom half of the one they make and it worked out great on my 70 convert

droptop

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
moparstuart said:

Dimensionally, the hardtop wheel wells are the same as converts at the bottom where they meet up with the trunk floor. They will drop right in. Convertibles also have double rockers for added support.

Back