• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Tuning

zupanj

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a book or website that talks about tuning hemi engines? While we are just getting acquainted, I am getting the impression that these engines are very touchy with regard to timing and advance. I don't have a sense of how the carbs behave yet. Anyway I would like to learn something about them if anyone knows of a source. I have the hemi book from Mopar and have been going through that.

Jack :beep:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Can't tell you much other than a street hemi they like a total advance of 36 and they dont idle well, they weren't designed to idle. :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Can't tell you much other than a street hemi they like a total advance of 36 and they dont idle well, they weren't designed to idle. :popcorn:
36 degree total advance and set idle to 2800....no problems then........ :lmao: :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
69hemibeep said:
Can't tell you much other than a street hemi they like a total advance of 36 and they dont idle well, they weren't designed to idle. :popcorn:
36 degree total advance and set idle to 2800....no problems then........ :lmao: :lmao:
You have done these before :lmao:

6T9Hemi

Reaction score
Both of my cars are stock 69 Hemis with original distributors, carbs with factory jetting and even with the vacuum control valves operational, both run 34 degrees total and idle all day long. One 4 speed and one Torqueflight. I even have the chokes operational on both cars.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ive had my old tired carbs boxed up for awhile and I finally shipped them off to Scott Smith Harms. Maybe I can have a Hemi that idles :toetap:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Ive had my old tired carbs boxed up for awhile and I finally shipped them off to Scott Smith Harms. Maybe I can have a Hemi that idles :toetap:

waaa...my HEMI won't idle........ :acme: :acme: :acme: :jester: .

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
mine idles and total timing is at 34 also....carbs were built by patrick at PRO-SYSTEMS.....and i dont have no stinkin chokes on my 1050 dominators either :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

zupanj

Reaction score
Thanks guy for the input. There is something funny that I haven't figured out yet. The most advance I can get out of the distributor that's on there is 28º at around 3000 rpm. I borrowed a Snap-On timing light from the local garage but I haven't figured out how to use the tach part. I am thinking of trying the distributor from my 383 for comparison but the one on the hemi is new. By the way it says to set the reluctor gap with a non-magnetic feeler gauge, anyone know where to get those? If I didn't want a somewhat stock look I would just put an MSD setup on across the board. I have always had good luck with that. Also I haven't hooked up the vacuum advance. I might try that today but it should have no effect on total advance.

Jack :beep:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The 383 distributor won't fit, the shaft is shorter. One from a 440 or any other RB engine will fit.

The non-magnetic feeler gauge is a KD item and even a lot of other brands will have one or two brass leaves in the set. A well stocked auto parts store should have one.

http://www.kd-tools.com/2223.htm

Is the harmonic balancer new? I can't remember if its an issue with the larger hemi unit or not, but the older big block Mopar balancers are prone to having the outer ring slip and shift the timing marks.

zupanj

Reaction score
yea I forgot about the RB thing when I wrote that. Haven't started it up yet this weekend but hooked up a vacuum advance. We will see if that makes a difference.

Jack
:beep:

Back