• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hood latch and release/striker plating color?

resq302

Reaction score
Continuing on with our 69 GTX vert project, I have the hood release and striker as well as the latch removed from the car. Someone had painted the parts with a clear zinc color paint but where the paint did not get appears to be a brownish blackish color. What was the original color of the plating on these and does anyone replate these parts?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I believe they were a dark gray zinc plate.

Big John

Reaction score
Yes. .

resq302

Reaction score
Just saw over on Moparts that it is a brown zinc dichromate with the rivets being silver. Hoping I can paint strip this and save the original plating like I have done with other parts!

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
You mean that zinc phosphate? Almost a dark grayish black color?
No. They are defintely not black. It's been a while since I researched it for my convertible but I believe the mechanism is more silver like your trunk latch. The lever and hook are a gray phosphate. The part that's attached to the hood is natural. Hopefully you will see when you strip them. i would just soak them in lacquer thinner. I think you need to research it closely. I really hate to see those parts blackened.

resq302

Reaction score
I saw a dark blackish brown color when I moved the release lever over so I am hoping they didnt paint it after they sand blasted it. If so, I might have to look for another excellent condition used one.

Big John

Reaction score
Go with what JD said. I'm sure he's right.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
My info is probably half correct. I looked at the photos on the Moparts link and Jules' hood striker with the silver back , black catch plate and brown dichromate front cover looks right. The black ones that Scott Smith posted are just too "black". The photo of the safety catch hook from Limelight Arrow from the 70 RR is how they looked. Hopefully your research and cleaning of your original parts will be conclusive.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It is brown zinc. The wiper guy on moparts used to restore them but he passed away not long ago.

Back