• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hotchkis suspension - anyone use this setup?

quikbird

Reaction score
I have seen pictures of at least one guy using this setup on a autocross course. and doing well. as for alternatives, how much do you want to spend? there are multiple vendors for front and rear coilover suspensions as well as Schwartz who makes a complete frame for the rr with all updated suspension. decide what your goal is for use of the car and that will help you separate what is offered as overkill or just right for your purpose. original torsion bar has some advantages in tuneability as the weight is unsprung and down low for center of gravity. ma mopar was a little ahead of the time when created this suspension so it is a tough decision to decide on keeping it or switching it out. . the Hotchkiss though is a good setup.

fowens

Reaction score
I have seen pictures of at least one guy using this setup on a autocross course. and doing well. as for alternatives, how much do you want to spend? there are multiple vendors for front and rear coilover suspensions as well as Schwartz who makes a complete frame for the rr with all updated suspension. decide what your goal is for use of the car and that will help you separate what is offered as overkill or just right for your purpose. original torsion bar has some advantages in tuneability as the weight is unsprung and down low for center of gravity. ma mopar was a little ahead of the time when created this suspension so it is a tough decision to decide on keeping it or switching it out. . the Hotchkiss though is a good setup.

Thanks for the reply.

Really what I'm looking for is a good comfortable ride that will accommodate the bad roads and not have me fixing parts every few months. I don't really need it for more than that. I know a local guy that has two RR's and he let me know the roads around here are so bad that he wishes he would have upgraded the suspension.

quikbird

Reaction score
In that case all you may need is the heavy duty components. Hemi springs, torsion bars, weld the control arms with a stiffening plate from Mancini, heavy duty shocks, better upper control arms and sway bars, and connectore

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
we have horse roads here in central west new jersey and they have ruff roads here! I put hemi t/bars and had my springs rearched and they made the car sit well and handle well too---1 in higher than stock-hand heavy-duty shocks sears worked the best for the money and paint them black---don't put air shocks on mopars b-bodys! rearch the springswinter time.jpg

winter time.jpg

earlyrides

Reaction score
Might as well do a brake upgrade too while you are at it

Just my 2-cents: but as long as you are going to do the suspension; now might be a great time to also do a front disc conversion (and possibly rear) if you have not already done it.
I am a firm believer that the "WHOA!!" peadal should at least match the "GO!!" pedal.
Most of us have a pretty good amount of "GO!!" pedal. You probably do as well.
It will already be all apart anyways....

fowens

Reaction score
Just my 2-cents: but as long as you are going to do the suspension; now might be a great time to also do a front disc conversion (and possibly rear) if you have not already done it.
I am a firm believer that the "WHOA!!" peadal should at least match the "GO!!" pedal.
Most of us have a pretty good amount of "GO!!" pedal. You probably do as well.
It will already be all apart anyways....

Good call! I was up in the air about what I wanted to do with the brakes as I've read a number of threads here and at FBBO regarding the brakes. I like upgrades and I also like stopping as quickly as I can when needed.

dangina

Reaction score
I'm using hotchkis upper a arms, adjustable strut rods, and their 1.25" solid sway bay mounts, you can make subframe connectors, and the best place to buy sway bars for our cars is here:

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16954
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10105

as for the leaf springs, for the same cost as the hotchkis leafs, you can buy hypercoil monoleafs in higher spring rates and they weigh only 10lbs!

Back