• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to mask and paint hood stripe help

Collin

Reaction score
Looking for some tips and pointers on masking out, sanding and painting hood stripes. I bought the paint formula from Totally Auto

72plymouth

Reaction score
I use to paint on stripes but its been 25yrs. but I'll try and help you on your stripes! First thing you need is some 3m fine line tape to lay out your pattern or stripes your going to do! Now what type of stripes are you trying to put on the car? Ok when you lay out your stripe
tape and you have it streight then you can use wide masking paper if their going to be large stripes but if its some small stripes smaller 18' paper will do the job! Take a gray or red scottch brite and go across the stripe tape where you have layed on the car! go over the area roughing up the surface then use a tack rag to get off any trash that may be on the area you scottched... next step pending on if your using a spray gun or can... If using a gun blow lightly on the stripe and retack with a tack rag. Spray a lite amount of paint over the taped off area then wait 10mins. Then put another wet coat on over the stripe..... let dry a couple of min then pull off the paper then the masking tape. Remmber if their is any blowby you can use laq or paint reducer to get overspray off! I've painted alot of stripes on! Hope this has helped you!

Last edited:
Back