• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic Clutch Upgrade

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the option (for another $600) to "upgrade" to hydraulic clutch. I'm not really sure what this means, but it's been recommended to me that it's a very nice upgrade.

Anybody running this set up? Pros/Cons?

Thanks all,

Best,

John

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
personally I think you can spend $600 better. Nothing wrong with the factory mechanical linkage..

quikbird

Reaction score
I have installed the hydraulic clutch kit from American powertrain but have not been able to use it yet. car still on jacks getting other things done. I will offer one suggestion if you do get one. attach all the lines to the throwout bearing BEFORE installing in the car. physically almost impossible to reach the bearing to attach input line especially in a Lakewood bell housing. I may have to pull the transmission back out to do this

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my truck had a hydraulic clutch in it, and I didn't notice anything better/worse over a manual linkage.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I don't see it as an upgrade. The mechanical linkage will work better, more reliably and faster... and it won't leak brake fluid all over your clutch.

moparchris

Reaction score
I have a hydraulic McCleod t.o. in my 1971 Torino. Its a nice set up but kind of a hassle and really lack feel in your foot. You can feel when the clutch is engaging and the hydraulic kind numbs the feel. Unless you have to go to it I would recommend not doing it.

Back