• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID'ing 426 Hemi in 68 RR

msherma5

Reaction score
Can someone help me with engine identification on my 68?
I assumed when I bought the car that it has a replacement engine, because it has a history of racing.
However, I have been going through and speaking with all of the previous owners, and the earliest owner I can find INSISTS that this is the original motor.
It seems possible, based on my limited understanding:
1) it sounds like the 68's have a VIN on the back of the engine near the oil sender. This is obviously super difficult to get to, and likely been painted over. Been trying to look back there, without much luck.
2) the pad on the bottom of the engine doesn't have any numbers, only an "iron cross" symbol.
3) The cast date in the side of the block is 8/28/66. I have read they didn't make blocks in 1967.
4) The pad on the top of the engine says:
"BH 426" along with a "6 21 04"; "WT"; along with another "iron cross"
5) My RR was built in 11/07

Before I go crazy trying to find a potentially non-existent VIN can someone tell me if this block is on the ballpark?

Thanks again!
Mike

msherma5

Reaction score
IMG_0652.jpgIMG_0548.jpgIMG_0676.jpgIMG_0651.jpg

I have attached a few pics of the block, along with a pic of the example location of the VIN I found online. Does anyone know how much variation exists in the location?

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Looks like you have
WT=water tested
Maltesee cross=.001 undersized bearing shells
426=of coarse
2104=May 2nd 1967

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The sample pic of a vin is about where I find most of them to the right of the sender :yesnod:

msherma5

Reaction score
Looks like you have
WT=water tested
Maltesee cross=.001 undersized bearing shells
426=of coarse
2104=May 2nd 1967

Thank you so much for the response. In your opinion, does 5/2/67 seem to early, or is that in line with your expectations? I only ask, because it is nearly impossible to get a close look at that area while the block is in the car.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm not sure. You could go over to Moparts and PM Scott Smith Harms he is an OE judge and would know. I would still take the air cleaner off and lay some moving blankets over the carbs and crawl up there and look for the VIN.

Last edited:

msherma5

Reaction score
I'm not sure. You could go over to Moparts and PM Scott Smith Harms he is an OE judge and would know. I would still take the air cleaner off and lay some moving blankets over the carbs and crawl up there and look for the VIN.

Thank you for the referral. He was super helpful. I am going to try to get all of the info he provided me, through several email exchanges, in one post. Hopefully that makes sense. See below:

The block casting date is consistent with a block likely used in either a 1967 car, or, an early 1968 car. New castings were made in January of 1968 when the blocks cast in 1965 and 1966 were exhausted, you are correct, no Hemi blocks were cast in 1967. August of 1966 casting is after the end of the 1966 model year production run so it's impossible for it to be from a 1966 car.

That said, the upper machined pad opposite the distributor has stampings somewhat consistent with a 1966 production engine. "WT" is consistent for all year Hemi blocks. "6 21" is the assembly date, June 21st (June 1967 or June 1968). The "04" is the sequence the engine was built that shift. "B" = 1966 model year, and "H" = Hemi engine, and "426" CID (so, BH 426). That said, it's impossible that this is a 1966 engine because of the casting date being after 1966 production ended.

In 1967 they used "C" for the 1967 model year, all else would look the same ("CH 426"). In 1968 they didn't stamp a letter ("D" for example) and no "H" for Hemi, or the "426" either. The 68 blocks generally only had the big WT stamped on that pad along with single letters that were machining spec indicators, for example "A" all by itself, etc. That said, there was usually some additional assembly information stamped on the oil pan rail instead, yours has none which is unusual for a 68.

My conclusion is that somewhere along the line the pad stampings were likely modified or added to in an effort to make them look consistent with a 1966 model year car. Has this engine ever been in another car that you are aware of?

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a 1968 drive train coming down the line without a VIN stamping, however it would be unusual to say the least, and I would not agree with your other sources info concerning early cars not getting them, etc. IT WAS NOT normal, I have much earlier cars on record with all of the correct stampings.

There is another possibility. This block may be a replacement block without a VIN#. The other added stampings ("BH 426" etc.) I mentioned above would still hold true but it would explain the lack of a VIN stamp.

Your vehicle SPD was 11-07, 1967 making the engine assembly date of 6-21, June 1967. That is awfully early for a Nov 1967 built car, but not impossible, most engines were built days or weeks ahead of the car, not 5 months, that's quite a gap.

That "BH 426" stamping was DEFINITELY added. The riddle to solve is "Why"? Deductive reasoning; the model year had ended (1967 model year started on August 01, 1966) your block was cast after that date and the "B" was for the 1966 model year only. Plus the font and spacing of the stampings looks inconsistent with other originals I've seen. A 1968 engine pad would be blank except for the WT as mentioned previously. It could be a 67, a 68, or a replacement block. Not enough info so far to reach a solid conclusion. It is likely a 68 engine but not enough to bet the farm on just yet.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Scott is a good guy I hope to see him again April in Vegas. I had him restore the carbs on mine.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
I took a pic with my I -phone Hi my name is al and I have a 1968h/t hemi r.r. is yours a h/t(rm23) or coupe (rm21)?mine is a 4 sp also raced+rusted---I am now on reassy mode right now!rr1--black bench gut AL

Back