• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indy Cyl Head Billet Rear Main Seal Housing

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I got an after market billet aluminum rear main seal housing from Indy Cylinder Heads. It worked great on my 383. I want to use it on my 440 but they want big bucks for new side seal material. I measured it at .1250 diameter rubber cord. Has anyone else had this issue and what measurement and source did you come up with? As you can see I am not a computer expert. ThanksSeal1.jpgSeal2.jpgSeal3.jpg

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have you tried summit racing for those seals. Or Jeg's. Are you going with the Vinton seal or are you going to use rope packing type. There might be a forum from the past on here. Is the 440 going in the runner?

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Have you tried summit racing for those seals. Or Jeg's. Are you going with the Vinton seal or are you going to use rope packing type. There might be a forum from the past on here. Is the 440 going in the runner?
You can get the seals from Indy but they are expensive. I found a place that sells .1250 rubber cord stock for cheap but I want to be totally sure of the size first. The crank seal is Felpro. Yes the 440 is going in the Roadrunner. I wasn't really impressed with my 383. It ran strong but I want more power. A neighbor has a 64 Polara he might sell me. The 383 would be perfect for that.

Last edited:

MoparDan

Reaction score
You can get the seals from Indy but they are expensive. I found a place that sells .1250 rubber cord stock for cheap but I want to be totally sure of the size first. The crank seal is Felpro. Yes the 440 is going in the Roadrunner. I wasn't really impressed with my 383. It ran strong but I want more power. A neighbor has a 64 Polara he might sell me. The 383 would be perfect for that.
There in lies the problem with Indy. They are proud of their stuff. (As so is everybody these days) I don't know if these will work and I'm not sure what expensive means but here is a link to 440 Source's rear seal page maybe there is something here you can use.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Update. Use the stock housing. I had leaks on my 383 and 440 using the Indy housing. Great idea, but stock is better.

Back