• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information needed for 69 RR Drum Brakes

SgtLee511

Reaction score
A couple of months back I did some Drum brake work on the runner, and some of yall assisted me in that endeavor, here we are again. The issue is I just completed the rebuild of the rear Differential. I am beginning to put the rear brakes together. I'm using sets I found inside the car that the previous owner told me he bought but never put on the vehicle. The drums are 3 inch wide inside see pics and about 10.75" across. The rear brakes that were on it were 2.5" wide as are the new brakes. But I thought that both the front and back should be 3" wide am I wrong on that. The reason I am asking there were two sets, I ended up putting the 3" wide shoes on the front, now i find these 2.5 inch shoes that were on the back. What is right?

front pad.jpg

Rear Brake Pad size.jpg

Rear Drum 3inch.jpg

rear drum size.jpg

quikbird

Reaction score
Remember most stopping power is done by front brakes so they will be bigger than the back ones

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and remember and never forget....the Factory Service Manuals for the '69s are in the Tech Section here.....will answer a bunch of questions.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
three Blue Boys went into a bar.........

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Yep I got the manual but didnt see any thing about brake pad size. But you are right, I need to go ahead and let my greasy hands baptize it.

quikbird

Reaction score
Not a real manual until parts are loose in the cover and fingerprints all over it. Electrical part seems to get most of the wear. At least in mine it does.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I like the electronic one... I print the pages I need and toss them when I'm done. I have the paper one for my 300 and that stays next to my recliner. I've also printed out parts of the A/C section and electrical sections and they are in binders that I keep in the garage. With the electrical binder, I have all the info on anything electrical that I added to the car with notes on the wire colors and how they are wired in. Same with the A/C.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I like the electronic one... I print the pages I need and toss them when I'm done.

I do the same only difference I have is both the FSM and parts manual.

I also have both manuals in paper so I'll look up whatever I need as I find it easier looking through the book. Then I can go directly to the page I need electronically to print it out.

Back