• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument cluster teardown - keep going?

Reaction score
I decided to pull the instrument cluster to look into erratic speedo problems. Despite the cable being unhooked, the gauge did not go to 0. I took an allen key and turned speedo manually. I found that the needle would go below zero and above the max. Digging further i noted the needle was dragging on the plastic face, also. Fast forward to removed plastic face and found what is pictured below.

What risks do I take continuing to tear down the instrument cluster? Having never torn one down, I fear that I will open something and it will unwind like an old cartoon clock with springs and gears going everywhere. Am I safe to continue? Yes, this may be subjective to ones mechanical and electrical abilities. The way I see it, you'd have to have a screw loose or be filthy rich to buy one of these classics, and not have any wrench skills. IMHO :)

PXL_20220515_151703682.jpg
Please share your experience and advice. Thanks

Reaction score
We can ignore the previous picture. I made a poor assumption that the long plastic gear was not supposed to be angled like it is. I tore the cluster down to remove the gauge and found that it seems a small plastic like piece that holds the needle spring in place is broken.
PXL_20220515_163318773~2.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Had mine rebuilt when they did my cluster. Parts are hard to find so I here. It was better to send it off to be cleaned and new numbers and needle indicators redone. It looked like new when I got it. The speed O mech was shot so he told me and had the parts to rebuild it. 1500 was not a bad price for me here in Fla. is where the company is located. The cleaned the mother board and replaced the resistors also. New light bulbs and all. They did a great:thumbsup: job and it is working fine after 1500 miles on the car since restored. Good luck Maybe some one else will have some answers for you.

Reaction score
Thanks Russ. I hear ya. I put it all back together and decided to turn that into a winter project. Can't bare having it out of commission this time of year.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
There are company's out there that do that kind of work. Figured they do it all the time and Warrantee the work. Wish you luck on the car and understand you want to drive it this summer. Looks like other guys are putting the new clusters in their cars. Might lean towards that Idea. Depends on the price. LOL. Mo Money!!!!! Have fun with the new car. :thumbsup:

Back