• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake manfold gaskets

MadBird69

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing my old single plane TM6 intake with an Edelbrock performer RPM dual plane on my 383. When replacing the gaskets, do they go between the valley pan end heads, or between the intake and valley pan? OR both? I've replaced a few LONG ago in 340's, but the big blocks are obviously different. Also, will I need to drain the coolant? Dont know of any water jackets, but want to be sure before I begin. Dont need any surprises and do-overs.. lol Thanks in advance.

Ranger

Reaction score
You WILL have to drain the coolant. The manifold is how the coolant gets from one head to the other.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the metal valley pan is held down front and back by the flat metal bars. then the intake sits on top. and yes, drain your coolant.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Stock application only the metal pan is used. If decking or milling has been done use the fiber gaskets top or bottom or both depending on where and how much material was removed. Not sure assemble without gaskets and look at the fit, gaps bolt hole alignment

jaws

Reaction score
Should be able to just use a new valley pan. If your heads were milled then you may need more then the valley pan. Just use a little sealer on the corners. No need to drain coolant on a big block for a manifold swap.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Yes, the intake is dry.

Ranger

Reaction score
Huh, silly me. I always thought that with the exception of todays composite intake manifolds, all V8 cast manifolds where wet. I thought it was THE way to cross coolant over from one head to the other.

Back