• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the noise coming from the clutch throwout bearing or tran

nicanor

Reaction score
When we had the engine and trans out we knew about the rumbling noise coming from the clutch area. Knowing it could be the throwout bearing we checked it and it sounded and looked brand new. The clutch and pressure plate looked new also.

We thought maybe the exhaust was hitting something because you didn't hear the noise until the car warmed up a little. But when you depressed the clutch pedal you could feel a tumbling feeling through the clutch pedal and the noise got louder.

So we put on a brand new exhaust system from the manifold all the way back to the rear bumper changing all the brackets and everything. I even put on a set of Quick Time cutouts. The noise got louder as did the feeling of the rumbling. I took it to a trans place and gave them a new thowout bearing, but I was wondering if it might be something else. I asked them to troubleshoot first and not to just drop the trans put in the new throwout bearing and re-install the trans just to find out the problem wasn't repaired.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Barry

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
dosent the front bearing on the trans make a growling noise when its bad

nicanor

Reaction score
I'm sure it does, but does it get worse when depressing the clutch? If it was a trans bearing, wouldn't it make noise all the time? Since it makes worse noise once it heats up, its possibly a trans bearing. When driving down the street without clutching or driving down the freeway at 65-70 mph, there is no noise as long as I'm on the accelerator. If I let off the accelerator, I get some rumbling noise. The trans was suppose to be rebuilt, but like other things that were suppose to be rebuilt or new, I'm rebuilding the engine, part of the trans, the brakes and even the seals and bearing on the axles.

The trans is out, so hopefully the standard trans shop with a very good rep fixes the problem so I can move on.

Thanks,
Barry

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Hard to say w/o being there.

Be sure they put a new nylon nut or use a jam nut to secure the clutch adjustment or you get to play the game again.

The on decel noise could mean a rear gear issue or who knows what.

One thing to try in the future is to compare how the new TOB feels, then take the cover off and reach in/push w/ screw driver and see how much slop is in there.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
just had my truck at the dealer for that same thing 60 75mph let off the gas and it made noise and vibration step on it and it went away turned out to be u-joints and they were just replaced. four time at the dealer for the problem they changed pinion bearings , gears, wheel bearings.only stopped after the u-joints

nicanor

Reaction score
I'll get the u joints checked also, but it makes the rumbling sound and vibration with the clutch depressed and not moving. I feel it in the foot but not really in the gear shifter.

Thanks,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its hard to figure out over the net, do you get the rumble with a partially depressed clutch or at full pedal or both. You can feel allot of engine issues through the pedal also.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and just because the T/O looks good doesn't mean lt ls.
l had the fingers on the pressure plate wear off once. couldn;t see what happened. My Uncle was holding the T/O spining it when he saw that the bearing was turning out of round. never saw that before.

A31PKG

Reaction score
nicanor said:
I'll get the u joints checked also, but it makes the rumbling sound and vibration with the clutch depressed and not moving. I feel it in the foot but not really in the gear shifter.

From this statement, I assume the rumbling and vibration go away at idle in neutral with your foot off the clutch? I would thus be inclined to say that it is clutch or release bearing related. Let's also hope the crank is not walking. Although I think a trans issue is unlikely, it could still be a possibility. Is there a correct pilot bearing in the crank? Is this the original engine (sorry cant remember from past posts)? If not, and this engine came from an automatic car, a pilot bearing may have to be made to fit the end of the crankshaft. MP used to offer one for auto to manual swaps...not sure if it is still available....just offering some ideas.

nicanor

Reaction score
Its suppose to be an engine/transmission matching car. Once you can hear the rumbling noise (because you don't hear it until the car warms up) you can hear the noise both when the clutch is partially or fully depressed. The clutch/shifting works great, just sounds and feels like a bearing is bad. The car does not have to be moving to hear the noise. No vibration felt on the shifter. I hope I can find and fix the problem in the next two days so I can get it to the shop to completely rebuild the front end including putting on disc brakes on the front. Just didn't want to drop the tranny until I had a good set of troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks for the help,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think its either throw out bearing and or pressure plate. :cents: I hope the thrust bearing on the crank is ok, but that end play can be checked while your into the clutch work.

Back