• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this repairable?

Steve

Reaction score
Thanks George,was gutted when it happened I can tell you,worried I'd have to bin it.Never repaired aluminium before so I'll get a Pro to do it as I want to make sure it's done right :thumbsup:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Might be cheaper to get a rebuilt one and not give back a core, in England they maybe tougher to come by, but maybe some one will chime in as I think there is a better starter from the 90's or 2000's trucks that will bolt up too, that you might be able to find easier out by you, reguardless good luck with it.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
Might be cheaper to get a rebuilt one and not give back a core, in England they maybe tougher to come by, but maybe some one will chime in as I think there is a better starter from the 90's or 2000's trucks that will bolt up too, that you might be able to find easier out by you, reguardless good luck with it.
i agree but see what the guy will charge first before deciding on a different starter :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, those starters are made of cast aluminum. Cast aluminum can be tricky, I would also take it completely apart so that you dont over heat the innards. Aluminum is a great heat sink, so it will transfer heat to the other parts and can ruin something. I usually put the part in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes to preheat the aluminum. It soaks up heat so well it can over heat the tig torch when you try to weld it. If you know someone who has a tig welder they can fix it pretty easily. If not it may be more cost effective to replace it. I always order a starter for a 94 Dakota with the 5.2 magnum. Fits like a charm.

Back