• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Always Something, I Suppose...

dobie

Reaction score
abodybill said:
Steve,
Did you rebuild the upper part of the steering column?

If so did you put both the C clips on the column shaft?

As you can't get the shaft out of the upper housing if the clips are not taken off.

One on the top of the column bearing and one below the top housing of the column.

As the column tube is bolted to the bracket and like I said the C-clips hold the steering column shaft.

Jason knows what I'm talking about.

Didn't read his post till I posted.

When I tore it down the other night, I was thinking that something wasnt right, although I really don't know what. I haven't unbolted the column from the firewall, but everything else is pretty much off. I don't remember seeing any C clips, or removing anything similar. You, or someone else, wouldn't have a picture of these along with their location would you?

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
dobie said:
generaljmwlee said:
on mine I put mine together my steering wheel was upside down. when I took it apart to spin it 180 deg I had to take steering wheel off and remove a snap ring type clip to allow shaft to pull out of the coupler far enough . is your clip in under the wheel? just a thought.

Yeah, the snap ring is underneath the steering wheel.
how about the one under the top bearing?I think thats where it is

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
the one on top keeps the shaft from going down the colum the other keeps it from coming out since it has little white pins to keep the shaft from going together untill a collision . (keeps the shaft from being a spear into the chest of the driver)

dobie

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to tear into it..... I'll update later tonight.

Thanks guys.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well at least with these gremlins, you're finally getting your post count up...... :basketcase:

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
well at least with these gremlins, you're finally getting your post count up...... :basketcase:

Yeah, no kidding!

:jester:

dobie

Reaction score
So I think we figured out the issue. There is a bearing on the column. Actually two, an upper and a lower. The lower looks to be what holds the center shaft in place. In pulling out the whole column, it appears the the lower bearing failed, allowing the center shaft to come up, pulling everything apart.

So, another Year One order completed a few minutes ago for both the upper and lower bearings. With work and our fair next week, it'll be a couple of weeks until its put back together. Guess Im missing Norwalk, again...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well Norwalk for me will amount to meeting a courier from Canadian Post to pick up a certian part on the Turnpike on Thursday. on a side note, I was pulling some stuff off the caer last night, bumpers, grill, cleaning out the trunk, and I found some nice shiney F8... :drool:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
well Norwalk for me will amount to meeting a courier from Canadian Post to pick up a certian part on the Turnpike on Thursday. on a side note, I was pulling some stuff off the caer last night, bumpers, grill, cleaning out the trunk, and I found some nice shiney F8... :drool:
Now if that isn't enough encouragement to to back to green... :thumbsup:

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:

Hey Dave, in case it needs said, you always have an open invitation at my place. Feel free to come up sometime and look mine over for the color and work. Since you're starting yours now......

:cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thanks Steve. I definatly want to check that new green out!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Basketcase said:
If you want something green that bad get a Prius :jester:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The old Blue/Green color war seems to be heating up again lately... I like it! :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
Basketcase said:
If you want something green that bad get a Prius :jester:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The old Blue/Green color war seems to be heating up again lately... I like it! :D

C'mon Ray you gotta know it's not gonna stay quiet for too long! Gotta liven things up from time to time! :jester: :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
C'mon Ray you gotta know it's not gonna stay quiet for too long! Gotta liven things up from time to time! :jester: :lol:

Funny that you should say that when your avatar ranking reads "some people on here are always trying to cause trouble"... :basketcase:

But of course I completely agree - it makes for some good fun!
:lmao: :thumbsup: :lmao: :thumbsup: :lmao:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:

Funny that you should say that when your avatar ranking reads "some people on here are always trying to cause trouble"... :basketcase:

But of course I completely agree - it makes for some good fun!
:lmao: :thumbsup: :lmao: :thumbsup: :lmao:
yeah, it was true when i said it, and it's still true!!!!!! :lmao:

Back