• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Springs Parallel or wider at the shackles

BBillyC

Reaction score
Just tacked in my front relocation hangers and want to make sure that they are perfectly in line with the shackles. When I took the springs out they were 1/4" wider than the front at the hangers. My friend tells me they are supposed to be 1" wider at the shackle perch? Anybody have experience with this. I always thought they were parallel! Don't worry I've taken lots of pictures which I will post tomorrow. :cool:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but why would you put a bind on the bushings, it seems they would be parallel :cents:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Just tacked in my front relocation hangers and want to make sure that they are perfectly in line with the shackles. When I took the springs out they were 1/4" wider than the front at the hangers. My friend tells me they are supposed to be 1" wider at the shackle perch? Anybody have experience with this. I always thought they were parallel! Don't worry I've taken lots of pictures which I will post tomorrow. :cool:

I JUST CENTERED UP THE BOX/CHANNEL WITH THE FRAME and the rear shackle is center of the frame and you cant go wrong..did you buy new springs??..the springs only go in one way....shorter front/longer back from the spring bolt and yes they are wider the the spring perch...the center bolt keeps it in alignment with the perch

BBillyC

Reaction score
Hey George Thanks. I guess it could be done either way. The center to center front and rear are 44" according to chrysler. So I measured the original perches and hangers on the car and they were exactly 44". I am going to have to do something like you did to mount the shackles...tomorrow it will be done. Bill

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I used to know this. It has to do with how the car handles, but for the life of me I can't remember how exactly it does.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
BBillyC said:
I made them parallel. I hope I did right
like i said i just centered them up on the frame and she handles nice and at the dragstrip she left the line straight as an arrow.....you should be good

Back