• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leak on top of fuel tank.

Ron Olczyk

Reaction score
Anyone might know what might be leaking from top of my fuel tank on 1970 Roadrunner? Leak coming down from side or top of tank on passenger side. Is there a vent or fitting on top that could leak? Thanks. Rons442@gmail.com

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Should be one that goes up to the shock tower. Then one that goes to a line up through the back seat pan in the trunk and down to the frame rail over the passenger side. You might have to pull the tank. They can rust out up there. Just like the trunk floor pan. A lot of trash can get up in there.

Ron Olczyk

Reaction score
Should be one that goes up to the shock tower. Then one that goes to a line up through the back seat pan in the trunk and down to the frame rail over the passenger side. You might have to pull the tank. They can rust out up there. Just like the trunk floor pan. A lot of trash can get up in there.
So its a hose leaking? Do I get to it from trunk, behind seat, under car or what?

Thanks

Ron Olczyk

Reaction score
Under the car you will see those vent lines that are by the feed line for fuel.
Are they rubber hoses? So u think it’s leaking from one of those? All feed and return lines fine. Tank sending unit gasket new. Does tank have to be lowered to replace? Looks like leak from top of tank.
Thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
1970 will be vented near the rear axle possibly to a canister or junction of vacuum lines I'm not sure but the rubber lines are probably the leak. You can crawl under with a flashlight and see them.

Ron Olczyk

Reaction score
1970 will be vented near the rear axle possibly to a canister or junction of vacuum lines I'm not sure but the rubber lines are probably the leak. You can crawl under with a flashlight and see them.
Thanks. I’ll check, but didn’t see leaking hoses. I’ll look again…

Back