• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a media blaster

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
I need to get a media blaster and looking for recommendations. I have a 2hp air compressor that puts out 5.3 CFM at 90 PSI. I would like a siphon feed, but they all require 15 CFM and up. Even the gravity feeds seem to need at least 7 CFM. I would be using it on body panels, frame, bottom of floor pans and other parts as needed.

Carl Ray

Reaction score
You will have a very frustrating experience with such a small compressor. Blast time will be short, recharge time long. You really need a larger compressor. The more CFM the better. Skat Blast makes great equipment.

MoparDan

Reaction score
You will have a very frustrating experience with such a small compressor. Blast time will be short, recharge time long. You really need a larger compressor. The more CFM the better. Skat Blast makes great equipment.

I need to get a media blaster and looking for recommendations. I have a 2hp air compressor that puts out 5.3 CFM at 90 PSI. I would like a siphon feed, but they all require 15 CFM and up. Even the gravity feeds seem to need at least 7 CFM. I would be using it on body panels, frame, bottom of floor pans and other parts as needed.
You may want to look into finding a local blasting company. Unless you are going to do a lot of blasting you may find it will cost about the same as a new compressor and blast equipment.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Harbor freight sell some good compressors. I had an Ingersoll-Rand which I had for years. Bought that tank type sand blaster. It was not big enough and had to wait till the compressor would cut off to finish what I was doing. Would like to have a two-stage compressor in the future.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Harbor freight sell some good compressors. I had an Ingersoll-Rand which I had for years. Bought that tank type sand blaster. It was not big enough and had to wait till the compressor would cut off to finish what I was doing. Would like to have a two-stage compressor in the future.
I have a 7.5 horse 80 Gal two stage compressor that I bought from Harbor Freight in 2006. I also have a 40 Lb pressurized sand blaster from HF and sometimes I have to wait on the compressor to come back up. The compressor cost $750 and the sand blaster around $100. I have checked around and that is about what I can get a car media blasted for.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
I was watching DIY Automotive School on YouTube and my man Pete says not to blast car panels. He recommends using Aircraft Paint Stripper. I was planning on using a gravity feed gun and my 2hp compressor to blast some parts like the sway bar when I replace H-frame.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I was watching DIY Automotive School on YouTube and my man Pete says not to blast car panels. He recommends using Aircraft Paint Stripper. I was planning on using a gravity feed gun and my 2hp compressor to blast some parts like the sway bar when I replace H-frame.
Pete's right. Never use sand on panels it will warp them. Aircraft stripper works well but makes a big mess. I use my DA sander, you have to keep it moving so it doesn't build up too much heat.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Between your blasting and painting threads I think that justifies a better compressor

69RunnerMike

Reaction score

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Between your blasting and painting threads I think that justifies a better compressor
Yeah the problem is that I really don't have the room in my garage for one. I bought the one I currently have because it had wheels. My basement isn't a walkout so I have to pull it up the stairs. :( I haven't seen any larger ones that are mobile but even if there were some, they would be to heavy to get up the stairs. I wonder if I could put a stationary compressor in my basement and run a long hose into my garage. What's a good compressor to get?

MoparDan

Reaction score
I have the same problem, small garage. I built a small compressor room off the garage. It works well and it cuts down on noise and paint fumes don't get sucked through the compressor.
If I was to ever get a new compressor it would be a Quincy Air Master.

126.jpg

127.jpg

Last edited:
Back