• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Made a hidden LED adjustable rpm shift light (video)

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
OK, so the PO of my Runner installed a big cheesy Monster Tach with shift light :confusion:

I absolutely hate it since it just ruins the clean factory look I've been going for :ack:

My plan is to get a factory tach from either Tachman or whoever else sells an OEM tach that works like a modern one, but I still want a shift light.

I've learned that a regular tach simply doesn't compare to a light at the drag strip :rolleyes-new:

Anyways, I didn't want a light sticking out of the dash and my old trick of hiding a light in a dash vent just wouldn't work for the Runner, so I grabbed a leftover LED light strip from my R/C camera drone and stuck it behind the dash lip in front of the instrument cluster facing the gauges :anonymous:

This way, it's completely hidden and no one would be the wiser unless they run their fingers behind the dash lip and the soft glow of the LED's reflecting off of the panel is bright enough to see, but not blinding :frog:

Here's a quick test video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLTr1Wyk7uM

I'll take some real world driving footage next time.

Last edited:

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
What's that on your dash to the right? That would drive me crazy at night lol that much light flashing at my cluster would make me want to ram into a wall. I have an issue with things too bright in my almost direct view. So much so my tach is down under the dash just on top of the center console with the shift light covered with the yellow cap it came with. it works for my since I can see it flash out of the corner of my eye.

I have an idea, I can rig a different color led dash lamps and have a separate circuit apply power to the second color when the rev limit hits. So your cluster lamps turn from white to say red. I like your concept, you have a great idea there.

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
What's that on your dash to the right?

I use the Radio Delete plate as a switch panel (main power, fuel pump, taillight kill, aux and aux)

That would drive me crazy at night lol that much light flashing at my cluster would make me want to ram into a wall. I have an issue with things too bright in my almost direct view. So much so my tach is down under the dash just on top of the center console with the shift light covered with the yellow cap it came with. it works for my since I can see it flash out of the corner of my eye.

I only set it low for video purposes.

In real world driving set at 6100rpms, it's just a quick blip :cool:

I have an idea, I can rig a different color led dash lamps and have a separate circuit apply power to the second color when the rev limit hits. So your cluster lamps turn from white to say red. I like your concept, you have a great idea there.

I can barely see my instrument lamps at night, let alone the daytime lol

droptop

Reaction score
I would have to hit the red line every time I shifted just to see the lights flash.:jester:

Back