• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnum 500 repop by Wheel Vintiques

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I received 2 15x8 magnum 500's through Summit today. Wheel Vintiques makes these - surprisingly in the USA. I had BF G's 275/60R15 mounted on them this evening. I have a couple questions...

There were stickers on these that stated, "Lug centric balancing is what manufacturer recommends for proper balancing of these style of wheels". What the hell is Lug Center Balancing????

Also, I have to say, I was not impressed by the quality. On close inspection, it seems like there are roll marks (if thats what they are called) on the center section - the 5 spokes that should be flat like originals are wavey and not quite as wide....anyone else notice this? Both rims look the same in that respect. These are not as nice as originals - in my opinion.

moparchris

Reaction score
There are two ways wheels are centered on the hub. Lug centric and hub centric. Original wheels are hub centric and are precision machined in the center and thats what was used to keep the wheel true. Original wheels are also lug centric, hence the reason for acorn lug nuts. Not sure why both are employed originally. Anyways most balance shops have the means to mount the wheel to a fixture and then its mounted to the balancer like your old wheels would have been. Not a big deal but if the manufacturer says to balance them that way then it probably means that the hub center hole is no longer machined as an exact center. You can still balance the wheel on the machine but when its on the car it will vibrate since the wheel will be off a little and it will appear oblong. Hope that makes sense.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I got my 15x8s from Year One. real happy with the quiality.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Chris. I called around today and tire shops that can balance the Lug Centric method were few and far between. I called Summit, and they said they didnt know that about these wheels. They said they only hub centric balance the wheels they mount. The guy I spoke with made it seem like no big deal. Obviously it makes a difference if the manufacturer recommends this.... what a pain in the balls.

Dave, Wheel Vintiques distributes these to both Y.O. and Summit (except summit is about $70 cheaper per wheel).

Back