• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnum 500 wheels...

chapdog105

Reaction score
I have a non-original set of Magnum 500's wheels for my 1969 Runner Vert that my dad purchased in the early 80's.
He says they are technically Ford Mags, and probably came off a Gran Torino.
Is there a difference visually between Mopar Magnum 500 wheels and Ford ones?
The wheels will need refurbished. I just wanted to make sure it was worth the refurb if they were different.

Alex

mcmopar

Reaction score
I would say "no" other than the center caps if they are true Mag 500's. As far as I know the Ford and Mopar bolt patterns are the same size (large bolt pattern, that is; 4.5" dia.) Visibly, with Mopar center caps I don't think you would know the difference but remember, Chrysler's "Styled Steel Road Wheel" that came on the road runner in 1969 was a 14"x5.5" wheel that also had brushed aluminum trim rings installed. The Ford wheels may have used a different trim ring or they may have been an all chrome wheel. The Magnum 500's I run are true Mag 500's and are all chrome - no trim ring. This was correct for 67-68 models but not for 69 models. If your wheels use trim rings you should invest in a set of Mopar trim rings and center caps if you want them to look "correct". If the wheels are all chrome like mine you can save some $$$ and just get the center caps. Trim rings are about $45 each and center caps are nearly the same cost. It gets a bit pricey!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
One huge difference is Ford Magnum 500s were available in 15" although I'm not certain if there was a Ford 14" wheel or not. Chrysler only had 14" versions.

glhcarl

Reaction score
My 66 Coronet had 15" Magnums (Ford or after market) on it when I bought it. I took them off and put them on the Road Runner for a while. On both cars I had to use a spacer on the rear, because the axle center would hit the rim preventing it from sitting flat aginst the brake drum.

You can see where there axle center hit the rim when the spacer was not used.

moparholic4bbl

Reaction score
I have a set of 14x5.5 originals with the aluminum trim rings and center caps intact that I took off my car and won't be using now that I have the 15x6 H wheels I was looking for. If you're interested in buying 'em drop me a line.

sax69

Reaction score
Chapdog
are you going to keep the drums all the way around?
If you decide to put discs on the from you will more than likely need 15" wheels.

sax69

Reaction score
I put a disc conv kit on from "right stuff" and the 14' wheels would only go back on with spacers.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
i used 73 charger spindles and rotor and 72 challenger calipers with 87 daytona hoses,but would be easier with the diplomat conversion. and here goes that off topic left turn! :drive:

mcmopar

Reaction score
They look like it. It appears that there are trim rings on those wheels. You could always ask the seller if those are trim rings on those wheels.

moparchris

Reaction score
Depends on which disc conversion you use. It seems like the factory discs will clear and the aftermarkets don't. I usually use the A body stuff 73 up and they clear most 14 inch wheels.....barely.

Back