• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual steering gear lubricant?

A31PKG

Reaction score
I read through the S/M to figure out what type of lubricant should be used in the manual steering gear, and all it said was use "steering gear lubricant" and not gear oil. Anybody have any idea what type of lubricant this is? Possibly a middle-weight engine oil?
:huh:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
I read through the S/M to figure out what type of lubricant should be used in the manual steering gear, and all it said was use "steering gear lubricant" and not gear oil. Anybody have any idea what type of lubricant this is? Possibly a middle-weight engine oil?
:huh:
Get your grease gun out. Since you don't know the type of grease used at the factory use your favorite or high heat if you have headers wrapped around it.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Now Bob, you know I would never put headers on a perfectly good Road Runner! :lol:

So you're saying the lubricant is grease?
Based in the S/M description, and the presence of a fill plug/port, I tend to think no......?? :huh:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Now Bob, you know I would never put headers on a perfectly good Road Runner! :lol:

So you're saying the lubricant is grease?
Based in the S/M description, and the presence of a fill plug/port, I tend to think no......?? :huh:
That's what I thought until I disassemble mine during the resto and found it packed in grease, and I used grease during assembly. I filled it on a bench out of the car with a needle type extension and as you turn the box back and forth the grease gets pull in by the gear set. You could jack the front of the car up also I'll get back with you in a few minutes

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Service manual page 19-6(32) If steering lube isnt available use a muti purpose gear lube, not gear oil. Whats funny is in the general lube section in the front of the book it shows Multi purpose gear lube or sure grip lube. Then again in the rebuild instructions it repeatedly talks of putting a coat of lube on loose parts, sounds like grease as found in mine

A31PKG

Reaction score
Good stuff Bob, thanks!
I was thinking about CV joint grease myself. It's a mix of liquid & grease, and lives in a similar environment. I have pulled CV joints apart fresh from the hi-way and although it (the lubricant) will flow, it still has the properties of grease. Likewise, when the stuff is new in the tube, it keeps its "greasy-ness" , but will still flow a bit. The steering box lives/functions in a similar environment as a CV joint due to its close proximity to the exhaust manifold, as well as the worm/balls/gear/sector relationship.... I'm going with CV joint grease.
:thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Good stuff Bob, thanks!
I was thinking about CV joint grease myself. It's a mix of liquid & grease, and lives in a similar environment. I have pulled CV joints apart fresh from the hi-way and although it (the lubricant) will flow, it still has the properties of grease. Likewise, when the stuff is new in the tube, it keeps its "greasy-ness" , but will still flow a bit. The steering box lives/functions in a similar environment as a CV joint due to its close proximity to the exhaust manifold, as well as the worm/balls/gear/sector relationship.... I'm going with CV joint grease.
That's very similar to what I used a lite moly lube, some go as far as warming grease up to pour it in but then again that was in a chevy forum :lol: I know you wouldn't put headers on your ride, I'd have to come over and thump you one if you did, its a beauty as is :jester: I may still make Carlisle and see it again :cheers:

A31PKG

Reaction score
Awesome! This time I'd like to participate in the beer portion of your visit... get authorization and get back to me...

Yes, for me at least, headers are a PITA, period. Been in a bunch of fast big-block MOPARS that do just fine with good ol' cast iron manifolds, and without all the headaches....now where did I put that hacksaw... hell, I'll just use the torch....

Steve

Reaction score
Well that's solved that little mystery,cv grease it is then :thumbsup: I replaced the seals on my steering box as they leaked like mad.I filled it back up with gear oil and sure enough it leaked out again but at a slower rate.I just assumed forever mopping the garage floor was all part of RR ownership :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Steve said:
Well that's solved that little mystery,cv grease it is then :thumbsup: I replaced the seals on my steering box as they leaked like mad.I filled it back up with gear oil and sure enough it leaked out again but at a slower rate.I just assumed forever mopping the garage floor was all part of RR ownership :lol:
In your defence it does look like a liquid filler hole :yesnod:

A31PKG

Reaction score
What actually prompted me to inquire on this subject, is the fact that I am currently rebuilding the steering gear on my Dad's 1930 Model A. It is a worm-gear affair with no less than four adjustments! This thing is totally cool. Anyway, the gear portion is bathed in liquid-ish 600w oil...sort of like a differential is bathed in gear oil. I did see a reference in the link Bob sent to that very same stuff. I ordered a quart of it for my Dad's car...I'll report on it when it gets here.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
What actually prompted me to inquire on this subject, is the fact that I am currently rebuilding the steering gear on my Dad's 1930 Model A. It is a worm-gear affair with no less than four adjustments! This thing is totally cool. Anyway, the gear portion is bathed in liquid-ish 600w oil...sort of like a differential is bathed in gear oil. I did see a reference in the link Bob sent to that very same stuff. I ordered a quart of it for my Dad's car...I'll report on it when it gets here.
Sure you don't want an all weather multi weight like 400w-600w :basketcase:

Back