• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master Cylinder Leaking

quikbird

Reaction score
Damn! I was afraid someone would say that. So what's the worst case if I just leave it as is?

Your gas mileage will suck worse than usual, extra fuel may wash the oil off the cylinder walls and accelerate the wear on the wall

Ranger

Reaction score
Your gas mileage will suck worse than usual, extra fuel may wash the oil off the cylinder walls and accelerate the wear on the wall
Hmm, actually, fuel mileage isn't all that bad, but I may have to look into a 650.
Anyone have an Edelbrock 650 (1806) you want to swap for a 750 (1411)?

Any reason to avoid a 600 (found a 6 months old 600 Edelbrock on Craigslist)?

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
DSCF0645.jpg
Its been awhile...this afternoon I finally removed my defective/leaking MC. BIG question now is what to do with the original factory studs. Do you attempt to knock them out and reuse? The OEM replacement doesn't have these provisions.
Secondly, what is the procedure for removing the factory push rod link from the old cylinder.

DSCF0645.jpg

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
I used the original studs when I replaced mine.

As for the push rod, :huh: I think it just took a little persuasion if I remember correctly.

RR383

Reaction score
I used the original studs when I replaced mine.

As for the push rod, :huh: I think it just took a little persuasion if I remember correctly.

So you did drive out the original studs and reused them w/o issue...correct?

I'm going to take a pic of the piston and rod assy.

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The push rod is just held in there by a rubber ring. There should be a new one with the master cylinder.

You just give it a pull and it will come out, that's assuming you have taken the boot off.

If you can't get it out for some reason, take the screw and retainer off the back of the master cylinder and pull the piston out. It will make a mess.... You have the push rod and piston in your hand now.... Put the piston (it's cast aluminum) in a vise and crack it by squeezing it. The pieces will fall off and you'll have the push rod.

You'll need to put the new rubber ring on and push it into the new master cylinder. I squirt it with a little silicone spray to make it easier.

Big John

Reaction score
The ring looks like this:

s-l1600.jpg

RR383

Reaction score
OK that clears it up...I have all components that you describe. One more thing...regarding the factory studs. Again do I drive them out of the old cylinder and re-use them?

Big John

Reaction score
Re-use them.

They should knock out pretty easy.

Back