• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance Electronic Conversion Kit: P3690427?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
I recently bought a used Electronic Ignition conversion kit and while looking for the instructions on line, I found one site that said to install in a 69, or older the "voltage regulator MUST BE REPLACED with a Mopar Performance regulator DCC-3690732". The installation guide does not mention this, and I cant seem to find any other site that mentions it either.
Has anyone here installed the kit and did you need to replace the voltage regulator?

Thanks

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Yes, you will need to either change to the blue Mopar Perf regulator or go to a 70 and later regulator and alternator. Another option that should work is to upgrade to an electronic regulator.

The old regulator is a points style that doesn't deliver a constant voltage to the charging system. The electronic regulators give a constant output that your ignition needs for a long life.

This is what I did for a regulator that still looks stock.

http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88&p=723

a6t9vette

Reaction score
John when you did that mod to the Duralast VR706 did you have to change out your alternator? Since my car isnt really 100% stock cost is probably a bigger factor, and having to change the alternator would be a bit expensive.....

Big John

Reaction score
Nope, that's for the single field 69 and back alternator.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Great thanks, I'll pick up the VR706. From what your saying thats probably the easiest/cleanest/cheapest option. Doesnt happen very often that it works that way. Do you have a picture of your entire installation for referfence?

Big John

Reaction score
Sorry, no pics of the install... My car is still in pieces.... Lots of pieces.

Big John

Reaction score
I found it through a search at Autozone.com for a replacement regulator. The mounting footprint, electrical locations and bracket looked identical except for the overall height.

While I never found any other specs, the 69 and earlier regualtors are pretty much the same across the board. Unlike the 70 and later which controls negative to the alternator, the earlier ones control positive to the alternator.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
So if its a replacement for a 69 regulator (the only in the above link claims to be as well) it seems strange why it would be need to make the Electronic Ignition work, where the OEM one would not.....

But hey if your running that set up and it works, im not going to argue.

Big John

Reaction score
The big difference is the VR706 is an electronic regulator like the MP regulator. The key is to get away from the old points style that just won't work well with the conversion. I honestly can't remember where I verified this... I think it was through an internet search for the manufactuer. Of course... just the size gives it away as not having the points and coil in it.

There was an article I saw about doing this (after I did mine) and they cut the top off the VR706 and replaced it with an older top. It was clearly an electronic regulator.

I also used the MP blue regulator on the first conversion I did. It worked fine.

Actually, my car has used an MSD-6A for years now. The plan now is to use a MP distributor and no ballast resistor (except for looks) and to hide the MSD box.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
My car had the conversion and an old style reg until very recently. There is a chance that it is some sort of updated guts deal.

I still have it, maybe I can look and see if there are any clues.

It worked well, I only changed because the new engine harness came with the updated reg wiring.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
There was an article I saw about doing this (after I did mine) and they cut the top off the VR706 and replaced it with an older top. It was clearly an electronic regulator.

Now that sounds like the hot set-up if you're trying to keep it looking stock...Do you recall any other details? Might be interested in doing that myself...

:jester:
ACME

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":28nbyt1b]There was an article I saw about doing this (after I did mine) and they cut the top off the VR706 and replaced it with an older top. It was clearly an electronic regulator.

Now that sounds like the hot set-up if you're trying to keep it looking stock...Do you recall any other details? Might be interested in doing that myself...

:jester:
ACME[/quote:28nbyt1b]

IIRC, they pried the covers off and just switched them. I thought about trying to do that, but I cut the cover from the old one and just epoxied it on top on mine instead.

2008_1010Stuff0010.jpg

droptop

Reaction score
The biggest advantage I noticed after getting away from the points type reg. is there is no more discharge at idle.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
droptop said:
The biggest advantage I noticed after getting away from the points type reg. is there is no more discharge at idle.
Sounds like someone had a "discharge" problem....... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Before I found I had a bad alternator, I opened up the regulator to clean the points in it. Much to my surprise, I found it had a circuit board in it. The cover looks just like the original. Also, I replaced the points with an Accell pointless conversion kit. The only way you would know something is different is that there 3 wires coming out of the distributor instead of one. It has worked great, and I think it starts quicker now then it did with the points in it.

droptop

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
droptop said:
Sounds like someone had a "discharge" problem....... :lol:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back