• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Rags

sam z

Reaction score
Someone brought up hot rod magazine. Never bothered with it.
But, I also don't bother with many of the mopar rags either. I really don't
care about "Hemi vs. Wedge" shoot outs. Nor do I care about a few
pristine cars featured that I will never own. I appreciate a well restored
car but I don't need to see them worshiped in magazines. Here's a typical
beginning: "Jim and Nancy searched the country for their dream Cuda. Jim
owned one in the 70's and always regretted selling it. After 5 long years
of meticulous restoration"... Sound familiar? How many times can I read
this?

I used to enjoy reading "Chrysler Power" in the 1990's but I haven't seen
that publication in a while. Does it still exist?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sam z said:
Someone brought up hot rod magazine. Never bothered with it.
But, I also don't bother with many of the mopar rags either. I really don't
care about "Hemi vs. Wedge" shoot outs. Nor do I care about a few
pristine cars featured that I will never own. I appreciate a well restored
car but I don't need to see them worshiped in magazines. Here's a typical
beginning: "Jim and Nancy searched the country for their dream Cuda. Jim
owned one in the 70's and always regretted selling it. After 5 long years
of meticulous restoration"... Sound familiar? How many times can I read
this?

I used to enjoy reading "Chrysler Power" in the 1990's but I haven't seen
that publication in a while. Does it still exist?

I remember "Chrysler Power"..but haven't seen that one in a LONG time...

I hear you on the "retread resto sagas"...but what are you gonna do? The guys that have the disposible income to hunt down and restore those cars are the guys my age and older...and many of them sacrificed their rides 20-30 years ago when they started their families. So it's kind of the natural order of things if you think about it...so I just gloss over the "trip down memory lane" aspects of those stories and check out the rides...

MCG is probably my favorite MoPar rag, but most of its contents are classified ads so that's an easy one to figure out. And I always get a chuckle out of their "stop the enviro-masichism" segment or whatever it's called...not hard to figure out that Al Gore isn't getting any Christmas Cards from those guys... :lmao:

:jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I met Roland Osborne from Chrysler Power several times, quite the character. I don't believe that mag is around anymore.

As for the rest... well, most of them are pretty much crap. MCG's editorials are interesting reading, if somewhat misguided at times and Mopar Action's tech stuff is pretty good, but there really isn't much else that I care to read.

I browse through the newstands once in a while, look a little and usually walk away empty handed.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Chrysler Power's been gone for quite a while now. IIRC, Osborne's wife got sick and passed, and he got kinda heavey into religion.
Hi Porformance Mopar was really good, but it's gone.
Mopar Action was good until I read the article where they buy an original '66 Imperial, and chop it to the bare frame just to make it go faster. Haven't bought an issue since.
MCG is good. Kinda wonder about their Envro stories sometimes though. Some guys get on them about typos, but it just shows me their human like us. It does get old seeing big $$ star cars. I'd rather see drivers and regular Joe cars like mine.

sam z

Reaction score
Yeah, I always enjoy reading the most practical stuff they will print, like
a good 440 build up for pump gas, how to build a 400 stroker, etc.
I have one old magazine with an article titled something like "100 restoration
tips" or something like that. A little for everybody in that article

A bunch of stories on the pristine cars with fortunate owners doesn't
do it for me. I'm done... :horse:

moparstuart

Reaction score
sam z said:
Yeah, I always enjoy reading the most practical stuff they will print, like
a good 440 build up for pump gas, how to build a 400 stroker, etc.
I have one old magazine with an article titled something like "100 restoration
tips" or something like that. A little for everybody in that article

A bunch of stories on the pristine cars with fortunate owners doesn't
do it for me. I'm done... :horse:

MCG is the best one out there , but they sometime try to be the sleezey sinsational rag type attention getter stories . That gets me mad some times , but they are still the best of whats out there.

jays69bird

Reaction score
I remember when it was just Chrysler Power and Moporformance or something like that was the name,I was also a member of the Roadrunner&GTX association back in the 80s ran by a guy named john Dallin if I remember the name right and they put out a newsletter.It was slim pickings back in the day.In the mid 80s some of the Muscle car mags spun off Chrysler focus mags,like Mopar,Mopar muscle etc.The current ones are ok to me its a way to keep on top if new products coming out.

Big John

Reaction score
jays69bird said:
I remember when it was just Chrysler Power and Moporformance or something like that was the name,I was also a member of the Roadrunner&GTX association back in the 80s ran by a guy named john Dallin if I remember the name right and they put out a newsletter.It was slim pickings back in the day.In the mid 80s some of the Muscle car mags spun off Chrysler focus mags,like Mopar,Mopar muscle etc.The current ones are ok to me its a way to keep on top if new products coming out.

Yea, there was only a few magazines back then. Moperformance was never one of my favorites but I subscribed because it was one of the only games in town. When Mopar Action came along and I think it brought the standard up quite a bit.

BTW, John Dahlin is RoadrunnerJD on other forums.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
jays69bird said:

Yea, there was only a few magazines back then. Moperformance was never one of my favorites but I subscribed because it was one of the only games in town. When Mopar Action came along and I think it brought the standard up quite a bit.

BTW, John Dahlin is RoadrunnerJD on other forums.

That's who found me a correct center carb for Bambi, BTW...

:thumbsup:

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
That's who found me a correct center carb for Bambi, BTW...

:thumbsup:

I met John at a highway rest stop of all places. He had his black A-12 at the time and I had mine. We were headed different directions from different places. It was a chance meeting.

Nice guy.. he gave me a copy of his broadcast sheet (this was just as decoding this stuff was starting) and we talked for quite a while. When I posted on one of the forums, he remembered my car and me.

jays69bird

Reaction score
I met him once years ago at Carlise,now I introduced myself thinking there was no way he'd remember me from the assn.Not only did he remember my name but knew I had a roadrunner conv.but remembered my brother being in it when he had his 73 340 runner,now this was the first time I'd met him face to face,I was impressed.

Back